Spastic 3g coverage? here is what I have found...

Ann Droid

Reaction score
I did do a search on this topic but did't find any real sollutions.

I, and others here at work with droids, have had some serious issues with flaking out 3g coverage. One day, I'LL have great 3g coverage while my coworker will have 1x coverage that shoots up to 3g 4bars, then instantly drops right back to 1x again. This happens over and over again with no real reasonable cause. Then, the same thing will happen to my Droid on a different day, the same condition.

Thinking it is a service issue, I called verizon to inquire. After talking to their 1st level tech, they forwarded me to a higher level tech. She confirmed the fact that the service in the area was strong, but my, or my coworkers phone was constantly switching from 3g to 1x by looking at how the signal was hitting their "Switch".
She suggested that I do a factory reset on the Droid to see if this helped. And, Viola, it worked! Now, I had perfect reception, 3g with 4 bars! She waited on the phone with me for a few minutes longer just to confirm that it was acting normal. She later left me a voice mail explaining that her boss has the same problem with his Droid and it is an equipment issue that will hopefully be fixed with a software update.

Which leads me to today, the same issue again! So again I called Verizon techs and explained that this is a real pain to have do a factory reset every time this happens. This time they suggested for me to remove my battery while they killed my service line on their end. Once the service line was disconnected, they had me really install my battery and reprogram the phone by dialling 228. This has also worked to cure my Droid of spastic 3g signal strength.

BUT, one thing is for sure, it does seem to be a problem with the Droid. Either a glitch in the software or an actual flaw in the ability for some droids capturing and holding a 3g signal.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get perfect 3G service except for one little spot in my house. And that's right on my easy chair in front of the television. I see this 3G to 1x from time to time. I don't think it's any kind of "flaw" on the Droid, I think it just happens to be in whatever spot you're in your coverage drops from time to time.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine is kinda screwy like this also. I think its the new baseband imo.

OP
A

Ann Droid

Reaction score
I get perfect 3G service except for one little spot in my house. And that's right on my easy chair in front of the television. I see this 3G to 1x from time to time. I don't think it's any kind of "flaw" on the Droid, I think it just happens to be in whatever spot you're in your coverage drops from time to time.

I hear what you're saying, but for example I'll be in standing in our parking lot with my Co worker standing next to me and either he or I will have perfect coverage while the other will have the very irregular signal. Then when we do a factory reset, we'll both have perfect reception in that exact same spot....

trowa

Reaction score
I have the same problem at work. A few of us all have droids. I will have 1x and the rest will be 3g. I will even walk into their cube and put their phone next to mine on a table and my signal doesn't change. I've done many factory restores when loading different custom roms so this doesn't really work in my experience. Pulling the battery as well doesn't always fix it. Sometimes... but not every time.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
Happens to me as well... battery pull usually does the trick.

dunetigger

Reaction score
by doing a factory reset, will this erase all my apps and emails or are those on my carrier. I am new to droid but haveing same issue with 3G
Frank

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
All apps and texts will be erased. After a factory reset, your contacts will sync back to the phone, emails will still be on the gmail server, and you can go to market and any apps you bought will show up under Downloads in the market.

OP
A

Ann Droid

Reaction score
by doing a factory reset, will this erase all my apps and emails or are those on my carrier. I am new to droid but haveing same issue with 3G
Frank

Frank,
If you call Verizon's tech support to explain the problem you are experiencing with your data connection and are requesting to have your service line disabled so that you can re establish a new connection by dialling *228 and using option 1. By doing this it will get rid of any bug causing the spastic 3g connection. Also doing it this way preserves all the apps, email and desktop configuration on your phone. BTW, pulling your battery does not work by itself. When the tech at Verizon terminates your current connection, they will have you pull the battery to totally disabled the phone so that this process can be completed. Hope this helps!

OP
A

Ann Droid

Reaction score
I have the same problem at work. A few of us all have droids. I will have 1x and the rest will be 3g. I will even walk into their cube and put their phone next to mine on a table and my signal doesn't change. I've done many factory restores when loading different custom roms so this doesn't really work in my experience. Pulling the battery as well doesn't always fix it. Sometimes... but not every time.

I not sure this is the same problem...for example, the signal indicator will be jumping all over the place changing from 3g with four bars to no bars to 1x back to 3g again, all within just a couple of seconds. This happens for hours. By re establishing a service connection, either by factory reset or by dealing directly with a tech to have them terminate your line so that you can reprogram your phone, will stop the very spastic switching from 3g to 1x. But, this does not cure the condition, just the symptom.

I have had to complete this operation 4 times with factory resets and once with the tech help line. Believe me it is much easier to have the tech do it rather than factory reset. You don't loose any of your data or setup.

glennj

Reaction score
Well, chalk me up as a victim to this ridiculous issue. All of a sudden, after 4.5 months of flawless service, I can no longer get a 3g signal at all this evening where I used to get 4 bars consistently in my home. It MIGHT find 3G for a few seconds but locks into 1x 99% of the time. It just started this evening. There was nothing out of the ordinary done to the phone. This exceeds frustrating......it would be at least comforting to know that I had done something to it.

An hour on the phone with VZW tech support and just about everything done to it including factory reset, I still can get nothing but 1x. The tech sends me to Asurion, which halfway through the claim process online, it ditches me b/c they see the phone is still under 1 year warranty.....so I have to go back to VZW tech support (and they were done for the night by then). Why didn't I realize that to begin with....better yet, why didn't the tech?

Is a replacement phone really the only fix here? I'm using the stock phone....

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Ok, I'm starting to read a lot about the 3G to 1X issues, and they all seem to be popping up since the 2.1 update. Has anyone been having the problem before then? My 3G was perfect until a month ago when 2.1 came. Now I jump to 1X in places I've never had a problem before. I've done a factory reset (a week ago) and it's back to the 1X jumping again. Any thoughts?

HCdroid

Reaction score
This is what happened to me and my g/f...Last Saturday we where at restaurant waiting for our order. She wanted to show me a new app she downloaded so we both pulled out our droids. She had no bars an on 1x...I on the other hand had full bars and 3G... Back when I got my phone I did the #228 "trick" she didn't so I asked her to do it and boom! it happened... right in front of our eyes...She had full bars and 3G after doing the "trick"...she was stoked to say the least...

V

verian

Anytime I drop down to 1x I just put the phone in airplane mode for a second and then turn airplane mode off and it reconnects to 3g right away. Works every time.

LT*

Reaction score
I've had a few times where it goes into 1x, but usually quickly found 3g. Last night however I experienced what some here have. Very spastic switching from 1x to 3g, unable to hold the 3g signal. I had no time to mess with it last night, so I just waited it out. Things seem fine this morning. Only 3g with great signal strength. Very strange problem.