4G inoperative and "poisons" 3G...

Branford

Reaction score
I have a droid razr (and I'm pretty new to it so please have patience as this might be a "mia culpa" thing)...

My issue:

If I go into a 4G area (e.g. I'm getting the idication of 4G coverage) I lose my data/internet access. Subsequent to this I cannot get 3G access (when I leave 4G, enter 3G only service) - in fact my 3G bars (indicator of signal strength) show a red circle with the red diagonal line through it. If I power off/on, all works correctly (I once again have 3G access in the 3G service area - well until I go into a 4G area where the above is repeated).

So (1) why can't I get 4G service to work and (2) why does 4G "pollute" (render inoperative) my 3G service on my razr?

(Thanks)

omar908

Reaction score
Im not really sure about the whys but ill suggest to just leave it on 3g so you won't lose connection :) plus it saves battery ^_^

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is the 4g area you're going into a "fringe" area or one where its supposedly solid?

Sent from my phone

OP
B

Branford

Reaction score
First - thanks for the replies/suggestions.

Indeed the "3G only" seems to be a good work-around but I was wondering if others might be having the same problem (e.g. am I the only one?) and if it's a known (droid/razr) bug, is there a fix... It'd be nice to use 4G if possible - it's at least conceptually a step up.

The 4G area where things went awry is (probably) a good/solid connection. I'm in CT and it was pretty close to NYC where I'd imagine 4G coverage to be intentional and the signal to be solid. Again, I don't know that for certain but I can attest that once I got into "4G mode", I lost all data/internet access along with the ability for 3G to be operable. The diagonal red lined circle through the 3G bars is a new one to me but I'm far from an advanced user. I'm presuming that the 3G signal was being detected, hence the bars, but something was denying me access (until I powered off and on).