Sorting contacts by last name?

Adlerson

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this has been asked before, but I've looked through all the forums and haven't been able to find an answer.
Also, I've looked through the options on the phone without finding an answer, so here goes;
Is there a way to sort/list the contacts in the Contacts app by their last names? (Aside from entering their names with their last names first, which I would like to avoid.)

Thanks for any help!

Addy

andjarnic

Reaction score
That's a good question..I haven't even tried that yet, I would hope so. Most contact systems have the ability to sort by first name or last name. If not, it should be added at some point.

nnjacks1

Reaction score
Did you ever get an answer? I have the same problem. I have synched my Milestone (European version of Droid) to Outlook but my contacts are sorted by 1st name despite the fact that I set Outlook to sort by last name

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
There is no option.

It's by frost name only. Only work around is to manually switch them.

andrewdoane

Reaction score
This is the kind of thing (along with email signature) that I would hope they would fix in 2.1. I really don't care much about a new icon launcher or live wallpaper. I want this phone to do the things my last five phones could do.

Mayhew

Reaction score
Contacts

I have slowly grown accustomed to sorting by first name. Since my company does not have an Exchange server, I have to export my Outlook contacts to a spreadsheet and then import to Google. I read somewhere that you could swap the first and last name while it is in the spreadsheet and then upload to google. But I haven't tried this option. Hope it helps.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
? you don't have them set correctly in Google.
Contacts are displayed according to their 'label(s)' in Google Contacts. If you've always labeled you contacts correctly (last, first) than they will display as such on your device.

Note: the easiest way I've found to control this is to use another app (I use Thunderbird) to 'control' your contacts and then have them pushed/synced to Google Contacts.

Attachments

• contacts.jpg
    contacts.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 371

Boris Badenov

Reaction score
Would be nice to have it as an option.

Enabling search box to pop up when I open contacts would be even better. That’s one of the things I miss from BB

Scribble

Reaction score

Enabling search box to pop up when I open contacts would be even better. That’s one of the things I miss from BB

You don't have to be in the contacts app to search for a contact though. Just hit the search thing (I prefer voice search) say their name, (or last name) and they'll pop up as a search result.

Boris Badenov

Reaction score

You don't have to be in the contacts app to search for a contact though. Just hit the search thing (I prefer voice search) say their name, (or last name) and they'll pop up as a search result.

I know, but it brings up too much other staff with it... does not work well for me.
Not a big deal just one extra click…
:)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

There's a LOT of basic features missing in their contacts management (lol, if you can call it 'management') let alone the OS itself. As much as I love the phone the OS is really not yet up to "smartphone" standards that most business people would expect (and often require). If I was still active in management I would likely have to abandon it for another WM device:mad: (luckily I left management so that's not an issue and it meats my needs, though barely at times).