Soooo...I Really Want To Root

thelion

Reaction score
I wont lie though, folks, I don't know jack crap about it. But I am FABULOUS at following directions. Why do I want to do this? Honestly, because I can. And because I want to open my phone up to all the possibilities. And I want 2.2

I don't need to overclock. But I wouldn't mind some awesome themes and having more control over the look and feel of my Droid. It is already pretty customizable but I think I can take it further.

So, do we have a good (complete) step by step. And do we have a guide on what to do if the isht hits the fan and I brick this baby?

xRITE AIDEx

Reaction score
You wont brick, I just rooted about a month ago and best thing I ever did. I love my black notifications bar/the black clock type thing. Someone will tell you to search about rooting so thats what I did I will get you a guide asap, but if you really want to root then do it...best decision ever

EDIT: Also I do believe if you google rooting 2.2 some ROMs such as mine(bugless beast V.3) comes with root access so look that up first)!

http://www.droid-life.com/ scroll down this website and youll see 2.2 info

Last edited:

sic0048

Reaction score
There are a lot of different Droid "How To" instructions in this thread. Actually there is a whole forum on xda-developers that is for Droid developers. Good luck.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is a link http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html that will step you through the process. Johnly referenced it in his post. When rooting, there are advantages working with others. For me, however, I prefer to prepare in advance and have a plan/process in place. That way, I have some idea of what has been done to my phone and why.

If you have questions of problems post a thread and someone will assist.

Mike

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
The more I read the more I get confused. I've been wanting to give rooting a try to apply a basic smoke glass theme and black notification bar but there is just too much info in so many different directions.

Last edited:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you running a rom that is compatible with the smoked glass theme? If so, downoad the update.zip theme place it on your SD card boot into recovery make a backup and install the update reboot.

Hope that helps.

Mike

OP
thelion

thelion

Reaction score
So here is where I am stuck. I got through the backup. Good to go there. And I get that I am now supposed to download a file, rename it update.zip and install that (right?) but...which file? I have seen like 134,398,204 different files.

It is sad, I know. I'm the least tech savvy Droider around...but I want this so so bad :)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
The file you download depends on which rom you want to install. What rom do you want to install?

Mike

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
You have several options. Bugless Beast, Succulent Desire, Simply Stunning, and Cyanogen are very popular. Users report good results and these roms are stable. Go to top of the page and click the forum tab then scroll down to custom rom section and begin reading.

Try one and if you don't like to install a different one.