Sony Xperia Z3v Now Available on Verizon

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
This has Wireless Charging, right? They don't mention it on the VZW website.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If they delay the turbo(meaning it won't be released next week) I'm getting this phone.. To hold me over lol..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Even if they don't come OTB with it, ANY of your newer devices can easily be set up to utilize Qi wireless charging as long as you purchase the necessary hardware. It's a relatively quick and simple process. more often than not, you can simply purchase a third party replacement back cover.

S5 tap'n

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's if you have a removable battery.
Tylt charger is really nice, but kind of expensive. We have two of them on our night stands.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Correct...thanks for the reminder Xeene. I take for granted my removable battery since all of my devices have had them. Still boggles my mind that manufacturers don't make this the standard. Oh well.

S5 tap'n

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
After 24 hours with the Z3v, I would say that overall I am happy with this phone.

I will start off with the 2 things that I don't like but won't stop me from using this as my DD for a while...I cannot change the system font which surprises me as I thought this was more a feature built into the Android OS a few desserts ago and not necessarily manufacture driven. But for the life of me, I cannot find a way to change it - I really hope I am just overlooking it ;). The only other thing is the placement of the USB charging port - but again, a non-factor as I do have the wireless charger on the way.

As for what I like about the device...and these are in no particular order.

You can set the screen to be awaken by tapping just like the "knock knock" feature of the recent LG devices. This is pretty cool, although it is just as easy to use the power button which is located in the middle of the right side.

I like the pull down notification and quick settings area of the phone. In the quick settings area, you can arrange the number of settings that are visible - there is no scrolling menu here like we see with most devices, they are just all listed out on their own tab. With the quick setting toggles, a long press does not take you right into that particular settings area - you have to actually tap that popup box to take you there. For example, if I long press on Bluetooth, it gives me a popup that says...."settings" which I then have to tap and then I am in BT system settings.

Sony has included it's own set of "small apps" - these are accessible thru the recents key and gives you several built in apps for multi-tasking windows that overlay on your screen. There is a browser, calendar, quick screenshot, chrome bookmarks, etc. You can turn certain widgets into "small apps" and also download others from the Play Store.

As an Xperia device, you have access to themes that can change certain aspects of the phones - on screen soft keys, notification bar, colors to the over system UI, etc. There are several located in Play Store by searching "xperia theme" as well as several that are already installed on the device. I have found that the ones in the Play Store are more detailed and seem to change more on the phone.

The camera has sooo many options and seem to take some really great pictures - although, I never seem to have a problem with the camera on any device I have.

You can determine what status bar icons you want displayed or not displayed which is nice. I generally don't like the clock as it seems to take up so much of the notification bar - on past devices, I relied on root and xPosed to remove it.

I used the stock launcher for a bit after getting the device and while I could probably get used to it as I think it had several neat features - I moved onto Nova like I normally do :).

I won't comment too much on battery life - it does not seem to be on par with G3 but then again, it has been one day. I think after one week, I will have a good idea where it will be. I usually always have access to a charger - so unless it drains in a few hours, battery life won't affect me much.

The phone feels good in hand and although as big as my G3, it is comfortable to use one handed. It is fast, snappy and has no stutter in moving from one task to another. The screen is beautiful and does well outside (I have the "adapt to lighting conditions" option checked).

I definitely think this phone is worth checking out and look forward to hearing what others who have picked up the phone think :)...

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
A few screens for my above comments...

This shows one of the small apps open on the home screen.
eef405bbbdf103a75a04bdffa9a5c2f2.jpg

This is the quick settings toggle area.
4260be32424979bd045046fb71556e91.jpg

This is the small apps area.
01c4c8c9986a2c6abe2221f3c6e60b10.jpg

Sent while mobile...

pchain

Reaction score
Thank you SO much smalltowngirl13! Really appreciate the honest review. I played with the Z3v in the store last night and almost pulled the trigger. I think I may have to go back now and actually pull that trigger! LOL One thing I don't like in the new crop of phones and material design is the bright white backgrounds on every screen. Seems silly, hard on the eyes, and a waste of battery. I'm hoping the themes you're talking about on the Z3v can change some of those? Like a dark dialer and contacts?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I love the screen on this device.. Its snappy and fluid.. If i have to wait on the maxx.. I may jump on this.. Lol..

How are the radios??

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, inquiring minds need to know! How are the radios/reception?

sent from my XT1080 using tapatrash

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Thank you SO much smalltowngirl13! Really appreciate the honest review. I played with the Z3v in the store last night and almost pulled the trigger. I think I may have to go back now and actually pull that trigger! LOL One thing I don't like in the new crop of phones and material design is the bright white backgrounds on every screen. Seems silly, hard on the eyes, and a waste of battery. I'm hoping the themes you're talking about on the Z3v can change some of those? Like a dark dialer and contacts?

There are some themes that show via screenshots they change those items but to be honest, I am not sure as I haven't tried them. I am sure some of the assets are different but hopefully devs will be adding as needed.

Here are a couple of themes...
eXperiance theme - Clean Metal - Android Apps on Google Play
eXperianZ Theme - Black - Android Apps on Google Play

You can also adjust the "white balance" in system settings - display but it does not give you a completely blacked out background and makes the adjust system wide (this can be used in addition to the screen brightness).

As for radios - @94lt1 & @lloydstrans - they seem solid in my area and are on par with the G3 (which was much better than my Note 3). I have not matched them to the Moto X as that phone is not carried by me :)...

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I consistently sit at one bar may two if I walk out of my chicken coop. That's my heavy bias toward moto phones. When all 3 are in store I can decide knowing 14 days to return window is a viable option.

sent from my XT1080 using tapatrash