Sony Xperia sola with "Floating Touch" Technology

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
[video=youtube;vESGv2O5mhQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vESGv2O5mhQ[/video]

Sony has unveiled their newest handset from the Xperia line-up. The sola appears to be your run of the mill Android handset but a closer look reveals the never before seen "floating touch" technology. The tech enables the user to hover their finger over the screen to highlight the different links. Once the desired link is highlighted the user simply taps the screen to select it.

Sony plans to offer the Xperia sola in black, red, and white color options, and will launch it globally in Q2 of this year. The handset will launch with Gingerbread 2.3 with Sony's custom UI and will be upgraded to ICS Summer 2012.

3.7" Reality Display powered by Sony's Mobile Bravia Engine @ 854 x 480 resolution
Dual-core processor clocked at 1GHz
Support for NFC, DLNA, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth
5 megapixel rear camera with 720p HD video recording

via: MobileBurn

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
How close is considered floating touch? I'd drive me nuts if I was hovering over a link and accidentally touched it when I didn't want to because you have to hover so close. Patent it fast Sony. Apple loves to steal stuff and then sue you when they do.

dug-e-fresh

Reaction score
How close is considered floating touch? I'd drive me nuts if I was hovering over a link and accidentally touched it when I didn't want to because you have to hover so close. Patent it fast Sony. Apple loves to steal stuff and then sue you when they do.

Interestingly enough my Playstation Vita when using the browser sometimes registers a click before I touch the screen... I thought it may have been just super sensitive or something... but maybe they were dabbling in it already ;) Hmmm...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The smart tag looks more interesting to me, personally, than the "floating touch".