Something has gotta give with this battery life

bd1212

Reaction score
Before doing this, my battery life was horrible just like yours and I couldn't figure out what was causing it -- I had checked my "Battery Use" under settings and it was all normal and it said Display was using the most which didn't help at all since on the Droid, you need to turn the display on in order to do anything, but now that I have done the following stuff, my battery life is amazing!

To give you a little insight on how good the battery life is after doing all of this here are the battery stats:

Unplugged my phone this morning at 6:30 AM and it's 10:10 PM right now and I'm at 60% and that's with moderate use (texting every hour, some web browsing, and answering/sending about 50 calls today each about 5-10 mins long.)

Here's what helped for me. I rooted my Droid and installed the latest version of CyanogenMod for the Droid and downloaded the latest update of SetCPU from XDA Developers (this is free on XDA Developers, if you need a link to it just send me a PM and I will get the link for you) and then I opened up SetCPU and set it to the following profiles (credits to Cereal Killer for the profiles):

Min 250Mhz - Max 1,200Mhz with ondemand (Advanced: 62500, 70, 0, 70)
Charge: Min 250 -Max 600 (ondemand)
Sleep/Standby: Min 250 - Max 250 (ondemand)
power < 41% Min 250-Max 600 (ondemand)
Power: <31% Min 250 - Max 250 (ondemand)
Failsafe: >46.4c (114F) Min 250 - Max 500 (ondemand)

After doing all this, you will see a HUGE increase in battery.

Good luck! Send me a private message if you need any help!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea rooting to use SetCPU saves lot of battery. Just try no custom ROMs first. U dont necessarily have to get a 1Ghz kernel. They range from 600Mhz to 1.2Ghz. Low Voltage kernels are supposed to be the best on battery life. Underclocking the CPU when on sleep/standby will definitely save battery life. Underclock the CPU, use apps like Juice Defender, Power Manager, u will see a difference.

If you dont wanna root, try a Seideo extended battery.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Without rooting your phone I would totally suggest using juicedefender.

The app is amazing. It's 12: 30am, I took the phone off the charger at 10am this morning, I'm still at 50%.

I have done moderate browsing, listened to music, done some gps related things, texted, made several short phone calls and 2 30-40 minute phone calls.

The pro version for sure is worth the few bucks.

It works by reducing the vpn usage while in standby, and you can set a sleep period where it will also silence your phone for you!

Worth it imo :]

Edit: also with the pro version you can set it so it won't poll for WiFi unless there is a strong signal, it will actually block it!

bryant_16

Reaction score
How to use the JuiceDefender and how to toggle the settings to maximize battery life? Is there any ideal settings that I can look into?

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I'll take a look at this JuiceDefender. But a question about airplane mode. With airplane mode on I will receive no calls or messages correct???

wendy5001

Reaction score
does the led blinking take up that much of the battery? i have handcent as my sms and really only get texts during the work day which i'm really only allowed to check during lunch or a quick "bathroom" break. my battery seems to be ok till the evening when i go into heavy texting and market place surfing. I'm on the 3g network and don't know if i should plug into my wifi here instead?

jimnutt

Reaction score
does the led blinking take up that much of the battery? i have handcent as my sms and really only get texts during the work day which i'm really only allowed to check during lunch or a quick "bathroom" break. my battery seems to be ok till the evening when i go into heavy texting and market place surfing. I'm on the 3g network and don't know if i should plug into my wifi here instead?

WiFi won't make a difference for texting (unless you're using Google Voice to do it), however, it will speed up the marketplace and probably reduce battery consumption a bit. Basically, with wifi, if you're using the internet and have wifi available it will use less battery than 3g because it's faster. However, it also uses more power on standby, so if you're not using the internet, turn it off!

DroidHoff

Reaction score
You can use JuiceDefender, found in the market. It saves a lot of battery if your phone is on standby a lot.

+1 for this! My battery life has close to doubled since enabling this app. Definitely in my top 5 can't do without apps! The widget is nice to have as well because it lets your know how much extra time you are getting out of your battery at any given point!

solorca

Reaction score
For those of you that use Juicedefender, how does it affect updates on widgets? Does it keep your News/Weather, Facebook, Touiteur, etc. apps from updating? I have them all set to update at certain intervals...and I'm worried that with juicedefender, it will miss those intervals.

DroidHoff

Reaction score
For those of you that use Juicedefender, how does it affect updates on widgets? Does it keep your News/Weather, Facebook, Touiteur, etc. apps from updating? I have them all set to update at certain intervals...and I'm worried that with juicedefender, it will miss those intervals.

Mine all update fine I believe it enables your APN when requested by the system i.e. Facebook, Seesmic, and mail / text.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

I have it set to poll for one minute even fifteen. I also have it set to allow the apn connection if a certain amount of data or higher is being accessed.

I pretty much ran with the suggested settings and it has doubled my battery life too.