Some general Fascinate questions.. pertaining to google apps...

_Killer_

Reaction score
I was checking out a Fascinate today at work... and LOVED the screen resolution.. sharpness.. color.. the camera (both for photos and video).. But i was told that google apps don't work on the fascinate because it's powered by "bing"..

Is this true??

The biggest reason I ask this is for navigation... I'm not about to pay for navigator IF i was to purchase the fascinate BUT i use the nav included on my D2 nearly every day.. .

I've done some searches but was really unable to determine if google apps worked on this device or not..

I appreciate the help!!

Swvapunk69

Reaction score
Google maps and all the stuff with it works.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

fluidj

Reaction score
I was checking out a Fascinate today at work... and LOVED the screen resolution.. sharpness.. color.. the camera (both for photos and video).. But i was told that google apps don't work on the fascinate because it's powered by "bing"..

Is this true??

The biggest reason I ask this is for navigation... I'm not about to pay for navigator IF i was to purchase the fascinate BUT i use the nav included on my D2 nearly every day.. .

I've done some searches but was really unable to determine if google apps worked on this device or not..

I appreciate the help!!

You were mislead. Google apps work just fine on the Fascinate. Google Navigation is GREAT on the Fascinate because of the large screen too. You'll have to manually download them and install them. There are instructions on this site as well as others with exactly what you need to do. It isn't difficult at all, and takes 5 minutes tops. Let us know when you purchase it and come back to the boards with your questions and someone will walk you through it or at least point you in the right direction.

bluevolume

Reaction score
The Bing concern is WAAAAY overblown for this phone. Anyone who is making it out to be anything more than a "something to consider" is making a political argument that a Google OS should be Google all the way.

I have been using the Bing search app and its actually pretty nice, not a big deal to me. You can, though, download all the Google stuff you want including the Google Maps and Navigation. I actually used it today on the way in to work.

* Side note on that though, since you asked about Navigator. There is some software problem on the Fascinate that can cause the GPS to have a long delay in finding a signal. I've had mine take 10 minutes, and sometimes its immediate. Supposedly Android OS 2.2 fixes this, but the when and if of that is a whole other discussion.

fluidj

Reaction score
The Bing concern is WAAAAY overblown for this phone. Anyone who is making it out to be anything more than a "something to consider" is making a political argument that a Google OS should be Google all the way.

I have been using the Bing search app and its actually pretty nice, not a big deal to me. You can, though, download all the Google stuff you want including the Google Maps and Navigation. I actually used it today on the way in to work.

* Side note on that though, since you asked about Navigator. There is some software problem on the Fascinate that can cause the GPS to have a long delay in finding a signal. I've had mine take 10 minutes, and sometimes its immediate. Supposedly Android OS 2.2 fixes this, but the when and if of that is a whole other discussion.

Download the app called "GPS Test" from the market and it will take care of that issue for you. Run GPS Test once a day or whenever you need to use navigation. This completely eliminated my GPS lock issues.

bluevolume

Reaction score
Download the app called "GPS Test" from the market and it will take care of that issue for you. Run GPS Test once a day or whenever you need to use navigation. This completely eliminated my GPS lock issues.

NICE! But is it "GPS Test" or "GPSTest"? There's both out there!

mcapozzi

Reaction score
The fascinate is a great phone, excellent screen, the UI doesn't lag, great battery life, and has a very fast processor.

I've rooted and completely de-binged my phone, plus I've upgraded it to a un-official DJ05 based ROM which completely eliminates the GPS locking issues.

Now if only the jerks at Samsung/Verizon would release Froyo for it...

-Mike