Some Droids may ship with faulty Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
logo.png

Almost one day before the big Motorola Droid launch and everything seems on track for a very successful first day. The first impressions and feedback on many blogs have been outstanding with only a few minor complaints mentioned. One of those complaints appears to be a problem with the built in camera and the autofocus capabilities.

DroidForums member Shatteredzman has just tipped us off to a user known as "FAUguy" that sheds a little more light on the subject.

First off, it appears that some Droid phones are having problems with the Autofocus not working properly. I have seen this on 2 units now, and other web site reviews are also having the same issue.

When pressing the shutter button down half-way to focus, most of the time it shows 4 red corners on the screen, which means it CAN'T focus. Occasionally, it will show 4 green corners and properly focus.

I've talked with 2 Motorola/Android insiders from here and they have said:
1) There is a software issue that was discovered, and that is the cause of the autofocus not working as intended. The issue has already been found and fixed, and will be addressed on a software update.
2)If you are hearing "clicking sounds" coming form the camera when the program starts (which I am) then the camera may not have been installed/mounted correctly. Since this is hardware related, only a new unit would be the way to fix it.

On the Droid unit I had last week, and the new one I got this week, both are having problems with the autofocus and having this "clicking sound" when the program starts. I would say that out of 20 pictures I took outside with bright sun, only 1-2 would focus correctly.

I went over the software and hardware version numbers with them that are on the phones, and the numbers verify that it is a "retail" unit, not some pre-production (beta) unit.

Firmware Version: 2.0
Baseband Version: C_01.3B.01P
Kernel Version: 2.6.29-omap1-g04df51f
android-build@apa26 #477
Build Number: ESD20

On the back of the unit, the main lable says:
HW A, 39/09 (week/year)

The smaller batch label (to the right) says:
TA40403Q16 ntJ TE6 B10
SJUG5546AA 0101

{Source: HowardForums}

Status