solar power charger

drummerq

Reaction score
hey guys,

at the end of the month i will be going on a week long camping trip. There is the possibility to get some charge time for my droid but its very inconvienent. i was wondering if anyone has any experience with a solar charger that works well. If you have can you give me some facts like; what does a good one cost, how much charge does it give, how long to charge, is it worth getting. thanks in advance.

Riley

Reaction score
I bought one of these for a 4 day fishing trip i was on.....

Verizon Motorola Droid Solar Charger (5 Star Rating): Google Checkout available.

It worked. We got a lot for rain, but the times it was sunny I put it out and it would charge it........not like using a wall charger, but keeps your charge up a bit, just slow going. You can put the panel out in the sun too and it will store a charge which then you can dump into your phone for 20 minutes to boost it up 10-20% from where it was or so. :)

parkbsu

Reaction score
I'm going on a weekend wilderness hike in the UP of Michigan this weekend and am trying out this one from REI:

PowerFilm USB+AA Solar Charger at REI.com

We'll see how it does. Based on the description, it charges two AA batteries and then I can plug the USB cable into that at any point and charge from the batteries.

mstef66

Reaction score
hey guys,

at the end of the month i will be going on a week long camping trip. There is the possibility to get some charge time for my droid but its very inconvienent. i was wondering if anyone has any experience with a solar charger that works well. If you have can you give me some facts like; what does a good one cost, how much charge does it give, how long to charge, is it worth getting. thanks in advance.

I have one of these, not the exact one but same options:
PEAK PKC0BL

It has a USB plug, 12V jacks and a 200W inverter which gives you all forms of charging and can offer even more around a camp.

Not good if you are hiking to camp as it is not light.

Mike

OP
drummerq

drummerq

Reaction score
hey guys,

I have one of these, not the exact one but same options:
PEAK PKC0BL

It has a USB plug, 12V jacks and a 200W inverter which gives you all forms of charging and can offer even more around a camp.

Not good if you are hiking to camp as it is not light.

Mike

yea ive seen those but im looking more of a smaller thing, And it seems like from research that most of these only can give 10-20% more battery, anyone know of something that can fully charge phone??

OP
drummerq

drummerq

Reaction score
I have a Solio (it also charges the iPod)

ive seen those and they look like a good option, how well does it work. Like how long does it take to charge phone and stuff like that???

chudilo

Reaction score
The internal battery used to provide a good amount of charge(I've had mine for over 5 years). That is no longer the case. The newer ones are supposed to be better.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Each mfg should have specs on their site. If you need a full charge then find a device that equals or exceeds your device's battery's mAh rating.