Soft Key out

Kcshuffle

Reaction score
New to forums and everything. I rooted my phone recentlly and I dont believe this is the reason that my search soft key is out. It lights up just fine just when i hit it nothing happens. And on my virtual keyboard i cannot hit the L or delete key on that same right side. I just started having problems yesterday. I have been rooted for a while so like I said I dont think that is the problem.It just all of a sudden went out. Please Help I love my droid.

OP
K

Kcshuffle

Reaction score
I got a rooted droid and have had a rooted droid for a while and all of a sudden yesterday my search soft key went out. It still lights up but when i touch it nothing happens. Along with that the virtual keyboard i cannot hit the L key or delete key. It seems like a slim portion of my touch screen doesnt respond to touch at all. I dont know if its mechanical or the rooted phone did something. Please help.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
A reboot followed by a battery pull would be the first things I'd try.

Free Hand Touch Lite - try that market app and see if you can scribble all over your phone's screen to test its responsiveness. An alternative keyboard is an option too.

You can also do a nandroid backup, then restore a previous backup and see if that makes a difference.

Finally, do something like the 3rd link in my signature to go back to stock to see if that changes the responsiveness of the screen and/or to see if the keyboard gets better. That should let you know if it is hardware or software. If hardware you'll want to be stock before returning anyways.

-- As this is a rooted phone with a rooted type answer...I'm moving the thread to the hacking section for RS questions.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Sounds like a hardware issue with your screen not recognizing that your touching it on that side. Do other apps not recognize touches in that area? It would seem like the whole screen would go out vs. just a specific area...

ninjavanish

Reaction score
I think I am having the exact same issue as you. It also started happening in the same timeframe (last day or 2; 5/18/2010). The rightmost 15% of the screen does not react to any touch input. I cannot use the search soft key and when the phone is in landscape mode I cannot pull down the notifications.
I even opened a drawing program, "Draw(er)", and tried to fill the entire screen with brush strokes. The result looks like the image below.
Sample.png

OP
K

Kcshuffle

Reaction score
Yeah I did that exact same thing today. I did everything from unrooting changing keyboards everything. I brought my phone into the verizon store this morning and the representative told me that this was at least the 10th phone he has had with this problem this week alone. Were you rooted by chance? or drop your phone? cause the verizon guy asked if i had dropped it and i had dropped it but this phone is hard to break on just a drop. and it worked fine for another month and a half. Just at this point there seemes to be an issue. I have insurance so they are sending me a new one but still it seems like this could be a bigger problem. Good luck

ninjavanish

Reaction score
Yeah I did that exact same thing today. I did everything from unrooting changing keyboards everything. I brought my phone into the verizon store this morning and the representative told me that this was at least the 10th phone he has had with this problem this week alone. Were you rooted by chance? or drop your phone? cause the verizon guy asked if i had dropped it and i had dropped it but this phone is hard to break on just a drop. and it worked fine for another month and a half. Just at this point there seemes to be an issue. I have insurance so they are sending me a new one but still it seems like this could be a bigger problem. Good luck

My phone isn't rooted and hasn't been dropped. I tried a factory reset and it didn't fix the problem either. I feel like this might not be an issue with the physical hardware because it makes no sense that so many people would have the same problem.

OP
K

Kcshuffle

Reaction score
Got bad news about my Droid. Today my touch screen went completely nuts and started acting up. Opening apps ...closing them calling people and texting all on its own. and now i cant even unlock my phone from the unlock screen without doing a battery pulll and restart. I hope that is not whats going ot happen to yours next. But mine is unusable.

ninjavanish

Reaction score
I went to Verizon today and showed them the problems with my phone and got a replacement phone (new). I don't have any sort of replacement plan but all Droids should still be covered under the Motorola one-year warranty so you should get the same treatment if you go there. Good luck.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Got bad news about my Droid. Today my touch screen went completely nuts and started acting up. Opening apps ...closing them calling people and texting all on its own. and now i cant even unlock my phone from the unlock screen without doing a battery pulll and restart. I hope that is not whats going ot happen to yours next. But mine is unusable.

I think I remember seeing a thread somewhere about a rogue droid. You should take a look into it ;)