So now what for POP3 mail?

M

Matth3w

Its a PHONE/Android software problem. The same **** works well on other phones i have used including blackberry. Head over to the android code link in my sig and read responses. Also do searches for other email issues.
Again, go ahead and read back the last few posts. The issue rests within the GMail actual application which cannot connect to the server. If the GMail application can't pull the mail from the pop account, the phone never even enters into the equation.

M

Matth3w

Phones DO have problems, and my GMAIL is working on EVERY CLIENT i have, for YEARS correctly. My laptops, thunderbirds, outlooks, windows mobiles and so on. only my milestone HAD this failure. when i flashed the firmware again, problem was gone. FULL STOP!

So your oppinion its on gmail is not valid. Even if, if noone helps here, got to google, and start being friendly here. please!

Not sure how i wasn't being friendly.

If it is on the phone side, then why isn't it checking when looking at gmail, on MY COMPUTER, NOT PHONE, and it shows it hasn't checked in 20 hours - when it had for 2 months prior.

There may be two issues, but google is having a server issue of some sort.

I was trying to share details of what I was experiencing with it previously working, and not having changed anything in any of the three possible setting locations (my email server, my google account, my droid).
He was talking to me, and the people claiming that it is a phone issue just aren't tech savvy (that's not a mean comment, just the truth) or they would never make this claim because they would know that the GMail app on the phone is only acting as a computer monitor for the actual GMail application.

OP
M

mbmarsh

Reaction score
Can you please take it outside?

Hey - I'm still trying to get this thing to work here - can you maybe hijack another thread to snipe at each other? :D

As I said, I was OK with trying the whole Gmail fetching my POP mail, then syncing it back to the phone, until that stopped working about two weeks ago. If I have to go into Gmail every day to tell it to check my mail to get it to sync with my phone, that defeats the whole purpose. I absolutely agree that is a problem with Gmail, not with the phone.

However, the pervasive problem with the phone is that I CANNOT find a way to get my POP mail to pull reliably. In Accounts & Sync settings, Background Data is checked, Auto-sync is checked. Then there is a section that says Manage Accounts. There are two items in there - Touchdown Exchange sync is ON, and my Gmail account sync is on.

What else am I missing?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey - I'm still trying to get this thing to work here - can you maybe hijack another thread to snipe at each other? :D

As I said, I was OK with trying the whole Gmail fetching my POP mail, then syncing it back to the phone, until that stopped working about two weeks ago. If I have to go into Gmail every day to tell it to check my mail to get it to sync with my phone, that defeats the whole purpose. I absolutely agree that is a problem with Gmail, not with the phone.

However, the pervasive problem with the phone is that I CANNOT find a way to get my POP mail to pull reliably. In Accounts & Sync settings, Background Data is checked, Auto-sync is checked. Then there is a section that says Manage Accounts. There are two items in there - Touchdown Exchange sync is ON, and my Gmail account sync is on.

What else am I missing?

Again...let me try this for you..go to POP server settings and forward a copy to your gamil account. Set your gmail account to allow you to respond from the addredd the incoming message is recieved from. See if thatr fixes your issue. I will be it does

gerngaus

Reaction score
[QUOTE

Again...let me try this for you..go to POP server settings and forward a copy to your gamil account. Set your gmail account to allow you to respond from the addredd the incoming message is recieved from. See if thatr fixes your issue. I will be it does[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

That might be a temporary work-around, but that is not how it is designed to work - or how it was working.

Is there a way this forum can collectively get Google's attention to fix the problem. None of us want to have to monkey with settings when they have a problem.

I can't imagine telling my clients to "go figure it out" in lieu of fixing the issue.

re410

Reaction score
It seems to be the way gmail is built. Up until a week ago I was using both gmail and email from my ISP. All worked ok. Checking two places for email was getting a little tiresome so I decided to setup gmail to fetch mail from my ISP via POP and I'd just use gmail. This worked great for a couple of days. gmail would fetch the POP mail every 15 minutes. Then it started to slow down to every 2 hours. A week later and now it's almost 24hrs between fetches. Very annoying.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE

Again...let me try this for you..go to POP server settings and forward a copy to your gamil account. Set your gmail account to allow you to respond from the addredd the incoming message is recieved from. See if thatr fixes your issue. I will be it does

Thanks.

That might be a temporary work-around, but that is not how it is designed to work - or how it was working.

Is there a way this forum can collectively get Google's attention to fix the problem. None of us want to have to monkey with settings when they have a problem.

I can't imagine telling my clients to "go figure it out" in lieu of fixing the issue.[/QUOTE]

Well maybe we can send this forum link to Google :). As far as a work around. I actually think it's better.

Let me expaling. On my settings it's a incoming message to gmail not anothe pop account. Gmail is pushed directly to my device. As a test I send an email from work. To my home email. Then it forwards to my gmail account and is pushed t me. It takes about 30 seconds each time to get it. This allows me to see my emails immediately. Not in 15 minutes.

Now all this is to me is a better way to do it. In gmail change your settings as I have said to respond from what account the email was recieved. So literally it's like i'm responding from ym home email at work on my Droid. No one ever knows its not coming from there.

Just the way I see it. You can do this with however many emails you want and no one would even know the difference. Now your email is pushed and synced with your device. If you delete from your device by accident. It's still on the server to your other email. So when you get home and open Office (in my case) it oulls the original and all the replies down also. This works as good as my old BB and has been rock solid since I got my Droid :)

re410

Reaction score
Yes, that is a better solution if forwarding is possible. My ISP does not allow it. So I'm out of luck.

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure

What else am I missing?

That is how my account has been set up from the get go and I am having issues. Gmail will stop fetching mail from my pop account until i go into Gmail settings and tell Gmail to fetch now. It will then work for 3 to 7 days before hosing up again.

OP
M

mbmarsh

Reaction score
interesting development

First, magically, this morning Gmail decided to check my POP mail, and suddenly dumped all my POP mail onto my phone. Wonder how long that will last? But as well, the default Email program hasn't pulled any mail since I manually asked it to sync this morning.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the 2.01 update in December? I seem to remember the email working fine before I applied that update, but that could be purely coincidence.

Miami, I understand that if I forward my email to Gmail, I might get them on my phone. But I shouldn't have to! This device was sold as claiming that it could pull both Exchange and POP3 email. Turns out it can't do either, not without countless workarounds or purchasing second party apps - I fail to understand how this is acceptable, and Google/Motorola's complete silence on the subject only makes matters worse.

It was bad enough that I had to go with getting Gmail to check my POP mail, having to explicitly forward it is even worse. Does ANY function that Googlerola advertised on this phone actually work?

If anybody else has any other ideas on how to get my email working without endless workarounds, please feel free to let me know.