So now what for POP3 mail?

OP
M

mbmarsh

Reaction score
I'll try again

So I went back into the default Email program on the Droid, and re-setup my RoadRunner account to get pulled - all the Auto-sync settings are on, and I'm getting emails right now. My guess is by tomorrow morning, it will have stopped pulling them, until I reboot.

And you are correct - my RoadRunner account greatly predates my Gmail account - and I don't like the idea of being "forced" to use Gmail because other POP accounts don't work. I had a hard enough philosophical time even letting Gmail check my POP3 accounts, since that feels a bit like coercion, but I was willing to go with it to get the email on my Droid. Now that the Gmail pulling from the POP accounts isn't working, that makes me even more frustrated.

Email check frequency on the Droid is set to every 15 minutes.

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
My problem isn't the Droid checking for mail it's my Gmail account that's the problem. For some reason Gmail stops checking my Pop account periodically.

Like other users I do not want to give up my Pop account. I expect Gmail to check it and fetch any new emails and sync them to my Droid. I set up a Gmail account so I would not have to use the regular email program.

Google needs to address the failure of their Gmail program to fetch emails from pop accounts. If Gmail does not fetch your Email from your pop account it can't sync it to the droid.

This issue first arose for me on 2/10 and has happened 3 times since.

famac!

Reaction score
POP3 sucks. Check the sig and star the issue. Google needs to fix this as not all of us want to or can go through Gmail.

OP
M

mbmarsh

Reaction score
So it didn't even take 24 hours

This morning, I go to check my Droid, my Touchdown mail is there just fine, even one message sent directly to Gmail is there. NO POP mail has downloaded. No notification on the status bar.

When I go into the Email app, it is stuck on Loading messages. I clicked on Refresh, and Loading Messages changed to Load more Messages. When I click on that, it then pulls in my POP email. But it pulls everything in my POP account, going back to 2/19.

I'll keep watching it today, but I would not expect it to keep downloading, based on previous experience.

Silver Member
Reaction score
the default email client will continually download old messages until you have no more messages to pull. it will do this for every message that you delete or move and they will appear as unread messages.

wfholcom

Reaction score
This morning, I go to check my Droid, my Touchdown mail is there just fine, even one message sent directly to Gmail is there. NO POP mail has downloaded. No notification on the status bar.

When I go into the Email app, it is stuck on Loading messages. I clicked on Refresh, and Loading Messages changed to Load more Messages. When I click on that, it then pulls in my POP email. But it pulls everything in my POP account, going back to 2/19.

I'll keep watching it today, but I would not expect it to keep downloading, based on previous experience.

I had that same problem with the POP email and then switched to K-9 about 2 days ago. Now my mail is coming in without delay. The change in e-mail client really helped me. My POP email is with Comcast.

The GMail is also coming in fine, I get a daily agenda every morning from my Google Calendar. It has always worked.

Prior to changing to K-9, I had the exact same symptoms that you have. The emails would not come in unless I manually loaded them. After a phone restart, they would come in for about a day and then have to be manually requested. Also, even though my setting was to delete them on the server, they would be retrieved multiple times.

By the way, I wasn't the original proponent of K-9.

Now all is good!

Last edited:

Jackattack

Reaction score

I hear your frustration; I am really surprised because I do not have this problem ever. You say you have to go in and manually refresh to get your new mail? If this is the case are you sure in the main settings on your phone if you go to accounts and sync do you have it all checked for auto sync and background? It sounds like it is not auto syncing properly?

I apologize for going back to this but may be the simple step being missed. Check it out....

M

Matth3w

What's really annoying with some of the responses in this thread talking about "get rid of POP" blah blah and join the rest of the world...is a) you aren't helping and b) some people MUST have a pop or imap account for work or some other issue.

My **** stopped working on February 18th. No settings have changed, the email program works if I use the exact same settings for Outlook on my PC, etc etc etc. This has NOTHING to do with the phone. This is a GMail issue.

My email worked fine for a month and a half with GMail pulling from my POP account, and then suddenly just stopped. Now it says connection error and cannot pull email even from within GMail, despite it working with the same exact settings a week ago.

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
What's really annoying with some of the responses in this thread talking about "get rid of POP" blah blah and join the rest of the world...is a) you aren't helping and b) some people MUST have a pop or imap account for work or some other issue.

My **** stopped working on February 18th. No settings have changed, the email program works if I use the exact same settings for Outlook on my PC, etc etc etc. This has NOTHING to do with the phone. This is a GMail issue.

My email worked fine for a month and a half with GMail pulling from my POP account, and then suddenly just stopped. Now it says connection error and cannot pull email even from within GMail, despite it working with the same exact settings a week ago.

Matthew,

honestly i watched some threads by you now. Everytime you got upset, you write really agressive and a little to hard in your words. Please be more Kind :)

BUT:
i ran into the same Issue with my EXCHANGE MAIL, so this has NOTHING to do with gmail and HAS TO BE a phone problem. cuz it started working back when i again flashed the original firmware!

M

Matth3w

I'm not really sorry if I offended someone because they aren't contributing anything to a thread and simply telling people to basically "get with it" and use GMail instead of their personal opinion about whatever POP email someone is using.

Aside from that, it has nothing to do with the phone, as I already stated. The problem is in GMail. GMail, not the phone, is reporting the connection error after working for 6 weeks flawlessly. The phone does not control your actual GMail it only gets email pushed from that email client, so there is no possible way it is the phone. I could throw the phone out the window, and check my GMail on the internet on my PC and if it says "connection error: email hasn't been retrieved since February 18th" it's GMail, not the phone. I don't have any problems with the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
I'm not really sorry if I offended someone because they aren't contributing anything to a thread and simply telling people to basically "get with it" and use GMail instead of their personal opinion about whatever POP email someone is using.

Well if noone has a solution, this WILL BE the only answer you get. we are NOT AN OFFICIAL SUPPORT by Motorola. If ya need something to get rid of your anger caused by the product, go back to the manufacturer!

No need to offend people here, PLUS: i gave ya a solution.
Now its up to you!

M

Matth3w

And I edited and responded to your solution. It has absolutely positively nothing to do with the phone. The phone does not affect your settings or accounts on your actual GMail account.

gerngaus

Reaction score
I've been using the built in gmail program to pull emails from my corporate pop3 for a few months now - without problems. Nothing has changed on my phone, online gmail setup or on my mail server. This is a problem with google.

I went to the gmail settings in a full browser and it said it had not checked in 20 hours - i get over a 100 emails a day. I forced a check and it finally downloaded emails.

It isn't a phone side issue - it is clearly a gmail server side issue.

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Phones DO have problems, and my GMAIL is working on EVERY CLIENT i have, for YEARS correctly. My laptops, thunderbirds, outlooks, windows mobiles and so on. only my milestone HAD this failure. when i flashed the firmware again, problem was gone. FULL STOP!

So your oppinion its on gmail is not valid. Even if, if noone helps here, got to google, and start being friendly here. please!