So I pressed the factory reset button...

weavdaddy

Reaction score
...and now when I turn on my D2 it says it needs to activate. Can I still root it? (btw it is not my active phone, just got a gs3)

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yes. You should be able to root it without it being active. Just won't be able to make calls and send texts with it.

"Don't Panic!"
Tapatalk 2_NEXUS 7

OP
weavdaddy

weavdaddy

Reaction score
Well it was no longer active on the vzw network anyhow. Problem is, I had little clue where to start rooting before...now I'm really screwed! o_O

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
You can still root it. I am out of the loop as to the current methods for it though. What system version are you on?

"Don't Panic!"
Tapatalk 2_NEXUS 7

OP
weavdaddy

weavdaddy

Reaction score
I don't know how to find that with the phone in it's current state. All it will do is ask to be activated or turn off.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
OK. While on the activation screen, starting at the top left, touch each corner in a clock wise pattern. This should get you passed the screen.

Its a little tricky so if you don't get it just keep trying. Also, you can look for a video on how to do it if my description does not make sense, its hard to envision when reading a description.

"Don't Panic!"
Tapatalk 2_GNEX

OP
weavdaddy

weavdaddy

Reaction score
You're the man!!!

Okay, system version is 4.5.621.A955.Verizon.en.US

Android version is 2.3.4

So now I should be able to follow one of the tutorials?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
You should be able to. I am not sure what the exact methods are for it currently but if you are having issues finding the right info I can try and help you find it later on when I get home. It may be late though.

andyc

Reaction score
Unless someone's figured this out in the last month or two, Droid 2 running 2.3.4 - 4.5.621 cannot be rooted due to a new bootloader being installed with the most recent update, nor can it be flashed back to previous versions to achieve root that way.

Ive been running GB triple threat since it was released last year and had grand plans to try out cyanogen and/or steel droid, but after sbf-ing back to froyo and allowing the ota to GB, I made the mistake of allowing a second OTA to d/l and install. Alas, no more custom roms or root. Looks like I'll be getting a phone upgrade sooner than I anticipated.

The 'touch each corner clockwise to get past activation' thing is a neat trick though. I didn't know that one

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Unless someone's figured this out in the last month or two, Droid 2 running 2.3.4 - 4.5.621 cannot be rooted due to a new bootloader being installed with the most recent update, nor can it be flashed back to previous versions to achieve root that way.

The 'touch each corner clockwise to get past activation' thing is a neat trick though. I didn't know that one

Wasn't sure honestly, being out of the loop I could not say definitively if it has been rooted or not. That answers that.

And glad you like that little trick :)

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hah, I figured as much. I wouldn't have even gone into the section to look if I weren't on the D2 and knew the method had come out. Between here, Rootz, and XDA, not to mention all my other ventures I get overwhelmed as well. Luckily we're all here to help one another.:happy3: