So I have an iPad 2 now - need some advice from any iPad owners...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
In clearing out some personal phone inventory, I came across a really nice guy who wanted to trade his iPad 2 for one of my phones. It was a good deal as I could easily sell the iPad for more than the phone, but that's beside the point.

My wife thinks I should sell it. The main reason being she doesn't see a use for it. We're not mac people, we have a desktop and I have a laptop - both outdated but still running strong. I used to think like her - wondering what in the world is the point of the iPad. However, it seems like everybody I know who has one ends up absolutely loving it and using the heck out of it. The other benefit to it is we have a lot of family far away, and they all have the ability to do Facetime. Since we don't, we always end up wrestling something together to do Video calling, and sometimes it works good, other times it doesn't. So being able to do Facetime with them is a plus. But that's the only plus in her mind, and not enough to sway her.

So, I ask you iPad owners out there... why should we keep it?

Oh, this iPad 2 also came with a keyboard/dock attachment that looks awesome (iPad 2 Keyboard Case | Folio Cover W/ Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard | ZAGGfolio), and it's the basic 16 gig wifi-only model.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
ok, I know there are at least a few iPad owners on this Android forum... ;)

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I have the 1st gen iPad and use it constantly. Great for movies when on the road for Mason. I use it to work on my book. At night, it's a lot easier using the iPad to read the web and check forums than digging out a laptop computer. The instant on/off is one of the best parts. Also use mine for an electronic portfolio for work as well as notetaking with clients. Also read books on it all the time. One of the better purchases I've made. I skipped the iPad 2 since it was an incremental update but very possibly will replace my first generation with the third if the changes are significant.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd sell it while it's still got a high value, once the ipad3 drops so will the value of this one

Geschickt mit meinem Galaxy Nexus aus Deutschland

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
The iPad 3 won't drop till a minimum of March. Give it a little time and try it out and then decide. At this point, there aren't even any good guesses on the iPad and the March date is a guess to everyone. I would say give it about two weeks and decide. That will leave you plenty of buffer to sell it. You'll get a good price for it, I can assure you of that.

But like I said, the convenience factor of it is great.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
There's one in my household as well. Don't like the keyboard nearly as much as the TouchPad keyboard though. Plus I had a very rude iPad owner(on these forums...) already insult the TouchPad so I'm not too keen nor happy with these folk. Otherwise it's a nice device, though you may find it drab in comparison to Android.

Oh and I really think WebOS beats out both iOS and android on a tab, frankly. The desktop versions of sites actually work properly...

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
There's one in my household as well. Don't like the keyboard nearly as much as the TouchPad keyboard though. Plus I had a very rude iPad owner(on these forums...) already insult the TouchPad so I'm not too keen nor happy with these folk. Otherwise it's a nice device, though you may find it drab in comparison to Android.

Try not to let users like this bother you. They are on all forums. I'm still watching for a good Android 7" tablet to tinker with. Thinking about one of the HTC's since I see them coming across One Sale A Day periodically for about $200.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well the goal is to get out of that "latest and greatest" cycle... and I got such a good deal on this one. Don't really have a desire to get the iPad 3 when it comes. The issue is more along the lines of convincing my wife (and myself to some extent) that there are lots of great practical uses for it as well. Obviously it's not an absolute necessity - few things are - but you get what I mean.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Oh and I really think WebOS beats out both iOS and android on a tab, frankly. The desktop versions of sites actually work properly...

Honestly, "drab" is refreshing to me at this point. :)

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Is it a necessity? No. But I will say I find myself carrying my laptop a lot less after having the iPad. I'll take it to places I normally would take the laptop, including vacations. Much quicker to use and access and the battery life is great.