So how's everyone liking the RAZR?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seriously? NOBODY else is having this problem?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

lol...maybe not alot of ppl are. Faulty phones, lemons do happen. Maybe the folks that are having this problem havent poosted yet, or dont post on online forums. Lots of possibilities..

Reaction score
lol...maybe not alot of ppl are. Faulty phones, lemons do happen. Maybe the folks that are having this problem havent poosted yet, or dont post on online forums. Lots of possibilities..

Yeah, maybe so... Did another factory reset today... Seem to alleviate the problem immediately. I just hope this doesn't rear it's ugly face once more as it didn't happen right away at first... Thank God for Costco! However, I'm switching phones... But my wife likes the Razr (so do I in spite of issues), so Ill trade hers in for a brand new one and let her create her own unique issues (if any)...

breedingh8

Reaction score
The rzr's screen is crap, utter pixelated crap. I was playing with a demo unit yesterday and I agree with everyone who says so.

Likewise, yes it is fast and snappy. Heck I was playing flash games on kongregate and the phone could keep up with most of them (Jobs, R.I.P but eat your heart out). Couldn't tell you much about the user experience, honestly it seems the same as any other blurred out Moto unit. It certainly feels solidly built, but I want to refer you to the user who had a very hot unit which was MELTING THE ADHESIVES OUT OF THE PHONE. I, being a poweruser, will stay away from this one.

Ill post some screenshots when i get to work i have no issues with screen at all..ive had n1, g2, droidx , charge now razr love it...

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

rherron

Reaction score
Seriously? NOBODY else is having this problem?

Do you have it set to automatically detect that it's in your pocket? If so, change it and see if you're still getting the "random" screen timeouts.

Dunc

Reaction score
So I went to verizon last night and walked out with the same phone still in my hands :frown: They couldn't replicate the random freezes or reboots so they said there was nothing they could do.

After 30 minutes of playing with it and no freezes he says "oh here your problem, it looks like you rooted it." He assumed I rooted it because you can see I purchased SetCPU in the market. I told him no the razr has not been rooted, but my D1 that I just upgraded from was rooted and still is rooted and works flawlessly...that's the phone that has SetCPU installed on. Anyways, so no I didn't root it because the phone is great for me in stock form. He was like "well if we turn it in and the factory finds any evidence that it was rooted then they'll charge you full retail." I told him, "I'm more than happy to take that risk so go for it. It's never been rooted or even started a root so there won't be any evidence and I have nothing to hide."

I understand their side with wanting to see the problem first hand, but how the hell am I supposed to prove that it's freezing if it's random? Am I to sit in the store for hours on end until it does it again then run up to them saying "see look, told you so." I can't just go into the store when it freezes because about 30 seconds after the freeze it will reboot itself. I wish there was some event log on the phone like there is on a windows OS computer. I guess my only option is to video tape myself using the damn phone that is 5 days old.

Woke up this morning, and the phone was off again. While getting ready for work it rebooted. So far I'm on 4 reboots today and 1 freeze (between 7am-12pm).

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If you are still within the 14 day period then the store has to replace it once with a brand new Razr no matter what. That worry free guarantee means you can bring that phone back for any reason at all and swap it out for a different phone all together or return it, or get a replacement just because you say so. You need to either go to a different store or just go in there and tell them if they are refusing to give you a new one then return it.

Reaction score
Do you have it set to automatically detect that it's in your pocket? If so, change it and see if you're still getting the "random" screen timeouts.

LMBAO! U beat me to the punch... I noticed this morning that because of the size of the phone, I type with my left hand over the light sensor... So I checked the display settings for the helluvit n sure enough, the in pocket detection was activated (which I did not do btw)... I laughed.... Out Loud (literally) then got on here to post n you had already posted the suggestion?

Thanks?

Boy do I feel sheepish......

Dunc

Reaction score
If you are still within the 14 day period then the store has to replace it once with a brand new Razr no matter what. That worry free guarantee means you can bring that phone back for any reason at all and swap it out for a different phone all together or return it, or get a replacement just because you say so. You need to either go to a different store or just go in there and tell them if they are refusing to give you a new one then return it.
I thought the same thing as I was driving home from that store last night. I'm going to try and capture a freeze on film and will also film the phone being off in the morning. Hopefully with that proof and going to another store I can get something accomplished.

By off in the morning I mean: the LED light is solid green but the alarm doesn't sound so something is funky with the phone. When you press the power button to wake the screen the LED goes out and the phone restarts. I assume the LED is solid green because the phone is already off it's the LED indicating the charge level...like how it's red if you are really low on battery and just plug it in, then it's amber as it gets more charge. I really love the phone and want it, but if they are unhelpful with getting me a phone that is actually functional then I'll for sure be returning it for a refund. I'd rather have a slower & flawless D1 than a fast & untrustworthy Razr.

Last edited:

Zandar

Reaction score
Just got mine yesterday and I'm really loving it. I got it on the $0.01 Amazon deal. I was going to hold out for the GNex, but a penny is pretty hard to beat.

Thus far, I have no gripes about any of it. The screen is crisp and clear; no colour bleeding issues or dead spots. Performance is outstanding (I'm coming from a Tegra2 device). I have great 4G coverage where I live, but the speeds aren't overwhelming; between 5-7Mbps. I can't say about the battery as I haven't had it too long. I did a full charge and now I'm letting it run down. I'm at about 12.5 hours and 50% battery, but a lot of that was standby as I let it sit off charger overnight. so far, zero issues with random reboots, lockups, etc. Needless to say the form factor and build are phenomenal.

YMMV, of course, but so far this has been essentially perfect.

Dunc

Reaction score
Not to post bomb this thread, but I went to use my phone and it froze on the home screen as soon as I unlocked the screen. I quickly grabbed my camera that I have sitting next to me at work (ContourHD ftw) and filming it being unresponsive to touch and then rebooting after the freeze. Hopefully this is enough proof for them now. I tried filming the kernel version number and everything to prove that it wasn't rooted but it turned out too blurry.

This just happened about 20 minutes ago:
[video=youtube;7L3NUG11XBY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L3NUG11XBY&hd=1[/video]

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
weird - has there by ANY consistency as to what you're doing when it happens?

Dunc

Reaction score
weird - has there by ANY consistency as to what you're doing when it happens?
Nope...no consistency. That was the first time it froze on the main screen. It's frozen on the:
- Notification ringtone settings screen
- Browser
- Texting
- While looking at the "sticky note" app today at lunch
- During a phone call
- Now while on the main screen

I'm currently recording my phone as it just sits here while plugged into the computer charging. It has auto-rebooted twice since I posted that video here so hopefully I can catch it a third time on film.

EDIT:
So 10 minutes after I posted this I captured a reboot on film. Below is the unedited complete video. You can see I start it off with the phone working normally and it's plugged into my computer & charging. I go about some nerdy spreadsheet creations and then I see it out of the corner of my eye rebooting. I tried getting up close to show the kernel again this time but it just won't focus that close. I also wrote down my name so the Verizon rep can't say "how do we know it's your phone." lol

The reboot happens at the end obviously:
[video=youtube;q57plJ5hJdY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q57plJ5hJdY&hd=1[/video]

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
You seriously shouldnt have to go thru all this to get a replacement. If all else fails, just ask for your money back. I would in a heartbeat if I felt customer service wasnt up to par. Like I said before...in all my years I just have good luck when it comes to phones, TV's, etc. I got a 46" Samsung that based on online reviews shoulda died in 2010. I got it in Mar or April 2008. Tax time gift to myself....
happy.gif
Only phone I had to actually send back for a replacement was a bad ESN on Verizon.

Last edited:

Dunc

Reaction score
EDIT:
Replaced the last Pandora Freeze.mov with an updated one. This time I caught the skipping sound on camera

[video=youtube;JrepflwhwEk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrepflwhwEk&hd=1[/video]

Last edited: