So how's everyone liking the RAZR?

Insidious

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals, I was at BJ's the other day and played with the RAZR and I really like it. My friend is due for an upgrade, and he's not a big cell phone junkie and he wants either the D3 or the RAZR. He's not too concerned with the different screens, more/less RAM. He just wants a fast, reliable Droid. Would you reccomend the RAZR? Also, if I find the Nexus is too big I might get one too if you guys are happy with it, and think that it won't die in a year

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

BULL27

Reaction score
My opinions are based off of coming from the DX1 and Charge.

-Razr is EXTREMELY fast and snappy. Blows both the Charge and DX1 out of the water. I have to say that I do like the Charge's screen better, but it is far superior to the DX1. My biggest PROS

-Build quality. This is why I love Motorola devices. It is a great piece of equiptment, feels very solid unlike ALL Samsung phones I have used which are WAY too plasticky, scratch prone, cheap feeling and looking. I presume the G Nexus will be the same.
-Fast
-Stock email application (very important to me)
-No need to use a 3rd party Launcher IMO. The Charge lagged and Launcher EX was a must. The Razr is smooth and have not experienced any lag whatsoever.
-Battery - I actually dont mind the non-removable battery, it contributes to a more solid build. The performance of the battery is still up for debate, need to calibrate it for a week or so and mess around with settings. However, initial impressions is that battery life will be comparable if not better than the Charge. I can handle that. 13hrs-14hrs a day, somewhat heavy usage, 4 email accounts being pushed to phone, constant 4G, about an hr of phone calls, and a good amount of texting throughout the day.

If your buddy wants a reliable, solid phone that will last I would say Razr is the way to go. Moto radio's are top notch and can't beat the build quality. My DX1 looks new compared to the Charge. I have only had the charge for 5-6 months and it is all scratched up including the screen and I am pretty careful with my phones.

I am surprised he narrowed it down to Razr and D3??? Completely different style phones. Does he NEED a physical keyboard? If not, its a no brainer in my opinion.

OP
Insidious

Insidious

Reaction score
My opinions are based off of coming from the DX1 and Charge.

-Razr is EXTREMELY fast and snappy. Blows both the Charge and DX1 out of the water. I have to say that I do like the Charge's screen better, but it is far superior to the DX1. My biggest PROS

-Build quality. This is why I love Motorola devices. It is a great piece of equiptment, feels very solid unlike ALL Samsung phones I have used which are WAY too plasticky, scratch prone, cheap feeling and looking. I presume the G Nexus will be the same.
-Fast
-Stock email application (very important to me)
-No need to use a 3rd party Launcher IMO. The Charge lagged and Launcher EX was a must. The Razr is smooth and have not experienced any lag whatsoever.
-Battery - I actually dont mind the non-removable battery, it contributes to a more solid build. The performance of the battery is still up for debate, need to calibrate it for a week or so and mess around with settings. However, initial impressions is that battery life will be comparable if not better than the Charge. I can handle that. 13hrs-14hrs a day, somewhat heavy usage, 4 email accounts being pushed to phone, constant 4G, about an hr of phone calls, and a good amount of texting throughout the day.

If your buddy wants a reliable, solid phone that will last I would say Razr is the way to go. Moto radio's are top notch and can't beat the build quality. My DX1 looks new compared to the Charge. I have only had the charge for 5-6 months and it is all scratched up including the screen and I am pretty careful with my phones.

I am surprised he narrowed it down to Razr and D3??? Completely different style phones. Does he NEED a physical keyboard? If not, its a no brainer in my opinion.

Thanks for the review, he's coming from an EnV 2 so he's a little wary on leaving the familialarity of the physical keyboard.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

DroidAxiom

Reaction score
I came from the env 1 to the OG DROID cause I thought needed a keyboard. It turned out I was more comfortable on The virtual keyboard...which is why I went to the bionic instead of the d3.

He may feel the same way. Either way, from a feature phone to a smart phone he's gonna realize the battery life is not the same. My env lasted for days.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Godric

Reaction score
Tell him to go with the RAZR. Just, make him V.V

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

kptphalkon

Reaction score
The rzr's screen is crap, utter pixelated crap. I was playing with a demo unit yesterday and I agree with everyone who says so.

Likewise, yes it is fast and snappy. Heck I was playing flash games on kongregate and the phone could keep up with most of them (Jobs, R.I.P but eat your heart out). Couldn't tell you much about the user experience, honestly it seems the same as any other blurred out Moto unit. It certainly feels solidly built, but I want to refer you to the user who had a very hot unit which was MELTING THE ADHESIVES OUT OF THE PHONE. I, being a poweruser, will stay away from this one.

1lowranger

Reaction score
i upgraded from the og droid to the razr i was really nevous about letting go of the physical keboard but the screen is so big on the razr that i have adjusted quickly almost dont notice it any more

fauxreall

Reaction score
coming from an og droid, loving it so far. super fast, good camera and i actually dont mind not having a physical keyboard. also found the screen on the og droid was much better only when the droid razr's screen was dimmed. wen its full brightness or even like 80%, it was excellent. ive gotten use to it and doesn't bother me at all. no pixelation issue for me. i guess some people are just particular picky when it comes to that.

Last edited:

BULL27

Reaction score
The rzr's screen is crap, utter pixelated crap. I was playing with a demo unit yesterday and I agree with everyone who says so.

Likewise, yes it is fast and snappy. Heck I was playing flash games on kongregate and the phone could keep up with most of them (Jobs, R.I.P but eat your heart out). Couldn't tell you much about the user experience, honestly it seems the same as any other blurred out Moto unit. It certainly feels solidly built, but I want to refer you to the user who had a very hot unit which was MELTING THE ADHESIVES OUT OF THE PHONE. I, being a poweruser, will stay away from this one.

Wow "utter pixilated crap", I wouldn't go that far. My screen is not overly pixilated whatsoever. I was referring to the whites looking greyish when the screen is dim. Furthermore, I wouldn't worry about your phone oozing. More likely than not it was an isolated incident given that this is the first report out of the thousands that have sold. I had everything possible running on this thing to try and kill the battery and it barely got warm.

To OP, your friend should really go to VZW and start typing away, see if he can get used to it. I was nervous at first as well but I never used the keyboard on the D1. Plus Swype is your friend.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Oaklands

Reaction score
The screen looks pretty darn good to me to be a pentile. I guess i am not looking hard enough for the flaws. They put a durn screen protector on it when I bought it yesterday. Just took it off and MUCH better. Camera had a green tint to pictures but will tweak on it this week.

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P

I disagree. The Bionic screen fits your description, but the Razr is quite a step in the right direction. If anyone checks my post history, I was extremely critical of the Bionic screen. In fact, I would say that was the primary factor in me not purchasing one. I won't deny there is some pixelation on the Razr, but I find it to be very subtle, and not noticeable when holding the phone at a normal viewing distance.

I upgraded from the OG Droid, and so far I am very happy. The phone is extremely crisp and snappy with no noticeable lag. Swype comes pre-loaded which I think is a huge bonus (I know I could get it otherwise, but no hassle this way). While there is bloatware, much of it can be uninstalled, and anything that cannot be uninstalled is easily 'hidden' from the app drawer. As advertised, the phone is very light and thin. I admit, I thought this was a gimmick, but even with the larger screen, it fits better in my pocket and fits better in my hand. I can't fully comment on the battery life yet (purchased yesterday), but so far today with moderate use I am still at 70%.

My advice to anyone is check the phone out, and if it suits you, go for it. We can all forever wait for the next best device, and never upgrade. If a phone suits your needs, why continue waiting? The OG Droid was a solid device that made it two years, and I have no doubt the Razr will do the same.

jeffe65

Reaction score
I bought the OG Droid because I thought I needed the manual keyboard; I've probably used it six times, other than with Terminal Emulator, which does make it more convenient. If your friend is stuck on a manual one, there is a Droid 4 on the horizon, but no release date has been confirmed that I'm aware of. Larger screen than previous Droids, but smaller than the RAZR. As much as I like mine, it's not worth waiting for; after the GNex comes out, I'll make a decision. I love the thinness of the RAZR, but the width is a bit awkward, and I have long fingers. It may be just that I'm so used to a much smaller phone.

kcobello

Reaction score
Had the X and then the troubled Bionic and now the RAZR. So far love the RAZR. Some issues with the dropped data with the Bionic and will check he same location with the RAZR tomorrow. The RAZR just seems to work well and feels solid, light and thin even with the Verizon holster case. Installed some apps and all is well...................so far!

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tell your friend to download SwiftKey as a replacement keyboard and he won't want a physical one.