SMS Errors - number format very sensitive and buggy

Markc1024

Reaction score
I'm new to the Droid X and Android. I've noticed intermitent behavior with texting. My contacts download via Touchdown from corporate server. They were initially formated with country code and area code in parentheses as Outlook is how I enter them (this is an Outlook standard). Those messages would not send and generate error "Cause code: Addr.Vcnt., 0"
old format: +1(555)555-5555

Well, I removed all of the parenthesis and country codes from the number format, and now get some messages through, but some of the replies will start sticking the country code back on the address and then those error out with the same message
example: 555-555-5555 works, but without my intervention subsequent replies to the same thread will have +1-555-555-5555 and then error out with the same error code.

This seems like a huge bug in properly parsing phone numbers from standard formats, not to mention adding the country code mid way through the message thread.

Also, I just moved from a Blackberry and never experienced this type of a problem with SMS.

Any suggestions?

Mark

OP
M

Markc1024

Reaction score
I just installed Handcent and so far the problem hasn't surfaced using this App. Hopefully something the development team has sorted out in Android 2.2.

Mark

dnar56

Reaction score
im getting the same message but only for 1 contact that i text, but mms goes through just fine both with and without handcent. also my contacts were just uploaded through my gmail acct not outlook. and titanium backup isnt working right now so i dont wanna do a wipe. anybody have any idea whats going on?

famine

Reaction score
i had the same problem.. i had to reformat all of my contacts correctly.. then do a master reset before it would fix it... even with fixing the contacts.. before the master reset it would still put the + in... so yeah. sucked.

toolboy7

Reaction score
My problem was the Facebook account that was linked up to my contact in the phone. Everytime I sent a text, it sent to the number that Facebook had, which had a +1-xxx in front of the number. All I did to fix it is to unlink the contacts, then go into the Facebook contact and add the number with just the area code. When I send a text now, it sends to the number without the +1. Problem solved. I did a master reset before I did this and it had no effect.

starider7

Reaction score
My problem was the Facebook account that was linked up to my contact in the phone. Everytime I sent a text, it sent to the number that Facebook had, which had a +1-xxx in front of the number. All I did to fix it is to unlink the contacts, then go into the Facebook contact and add the number with just the area code. When I send a text now, it sends to the number without the +1. Problem solved. I did a master reset before I did this and it had no effect.

I've had my Droid for several months, and have sent and received thousands of texts, then yesterday for some reason this exact problem popped up. I found this thread, and removed the +1 and voila, it works again. Weird how it worked before though. Thanks!

ritalauren

Reaction score
I've had my Droid for several months, and have sent and received thousands of texts, then yesterday for some reason this exact problem popped up. I found this thread, and removed the +1 and voila, it works again. Weird how it worked before though. Thanks!

How did you remove the +1 ? My Droid won't let me edit the facebook contacts.