Preset contact information is not editable on this device - need help please.

gpcxii

Reaction score
I am having an issue editing contacts that were transferred over from my Blackberry and most of the posts I've read have to deal with Facebook contacts. My issue isn't a Facebook issue, it's with transferred contacts from a previous phone. My main issue is that in my Blackberry, I had wait pauses programmed in for many of my contacts, (to dial extensions, etc.), For example if the phone number was (555) 555-0000 and if you knew the extension you were prompted to press 1 and then the extension was 222, in my Blackberry contacts it would come up as 555-555-0000w1w222.

When the contacts were transferred to my Droid 3 by the helpful folks at Verizon, those wait pauses just became part of the phone number. So the above number would become 555-555-00001222. If I try to dial one of them it will try and call Guam or Figi and then disconnect. I've tried to edit them but I keep getting the error message that says "Preset contact information is not editable on this device". If I try to delete the contact and re-enter it manually, (a pain with as many contacts as I have), I am told that I can only hide the contact and then I still have to enter it manually. I've found out that instead of the wait pause, I can use a semicolon and it works great. I want to be able to just edit all of my contacts with extensions without having to hide them and then re-enter all of the information just to correct the phone number.

Is there any way that I can change the settings to allow me to edit these contacts? Is anyone else having the same issue? Please help.

GPC

Hiker5208

Reaction score
There is an app called Contact Editor in the market. I use it due to some issues on my Droid X with not being able to edit contacts. Might help your situation too.

OP
G

gpcxii

Reaction score
Do you know if it will allow me to edit my existing contacts?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Hiker5208

Reaction score
Do you know if it will allow me to edit my existing contacts?

It does on my X. It will prompt you as to which app to use when you try to edit a contact. Try it and then if you like it set it as your default. I did.

OP
G

gpcxii

Reaction score
I tried it, still getting the same error. Cannot edit the contacts.

Sailordroid3

Reaction score
Same issue here. Can't edit and can't delete.

This new phone is a PITA.

You are not going to like this answer!

Got on the phone with Verizon support. Would recommend you do this with their assistance.

The solution was to back up my contacts from my Blackberry (old phone) to my computer (Blackberry Desktop Manager), Set up a synchronization from the BB to Outlook on the computer to get the contact data from the phone into Outlook, export the Outlook Contacts to a CSV (comma Separated values) file, open up Gmail and import the CSV file to my Gmail accounts Contacts.

Then it gets ugly!

Had to do a factory reset of the phone (loses everything except whats on the SD card). Once I got through that I had to re-setup my phone from scratch, set up my Gmail connection and then tell it to synchronize my GMail contacts with the phone. I set the sync and backup to sync with Google not Verizon's Backup assistant. Once that was done, I was able to open and edit contacts.

Now I am going back and resetting up the things that I lost in the process.

Like I said a PITA.

Last edited:

weintdm1

Reaction score
Same problem, thanks to Verizon

I can no longer edit virtually all of the contacts on my Droid. I imported my contacts from Palm to Google. Then I had problems with the Droid 3 dropping G3 availability.
Verizon did a hard reset, and backed-up and restored my contacts to/from the SIM card (I did not yet have an SD card). Every single contact (1740) was duplicated. When I complained, the tech said, "You should know that this always happens when contacts are restored after a hard reset."
I found Contacts Merger, which did merge all the contacts, but now I cannot edit any of them on the Droid, as it sees them as "Preset contact information."
I did contact the vendor for the Cleaner, and they've said that they will look into this problem.
I having a growing impression that the worst problem with the Droid is its reliance on Google for databases like calendar and contacts. On the Palm, I could sync to desktop, export all, delete all on the PDA, edit the exported contacts, import them all again, and then re-synch. I have found no way to do this on Droid.