Contacts Issue

thundercats

Reaction score
This morning I ran into an issue that I cannot seem to wrap my head around. I tried to create two separate phone contacts (each has their own unique name and unique phone number), for the sake of this conversation we'll call them Jake and Tom, but every time I add each to my contacts list as a new contact, it simply adds Tom's number to Jake's contact instead of creating a separate entry. I'll try to explain; I go into my phone and create a new contact. I type in Jake for the given name and assign him a phone number (lets just say 1-555-555-5555) and I hit save. Everything looks good. Jake is displayed as a contact and with the correct phone number. I then add another new contact called Tom with his own phone number (1-555-555-5524) and hit save. Instead of creating another new contact with the new info it changed my Jake contact to Toms name and now has both phone numbers listed under it.

I'm really baffled by this.. I could understand if say this was a phone contact and I had a referencing Facebook contact as then I could just "un-join" the two but in this scenario, that is not the case. I've tried just about everything I could think of to make this work.. Thinking that maybe this was a sync issue I logged into Gmail and checked out my contacts. In GMail they both show up correctly.. as two separate entries. I deleted them from my GMail contacts and added them separately. I then went back to my phone and performed a re-sync and still the same problem with both phone numbers being merged under one person..

Hopefully one of you guy's will be able to help me lol.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
guess it's just me then..

Don't want you to think we're ignoring you. I read your post carefully and if it's appearing separately in Gmail then it should appear that way on the phone as well.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. I don't even like the suggestion I'm thinking about because if they are appearing separately in Gmail they should on the phone as well.

Maybe try deleting both contacts in Gmail, enter them back in Gmail, and then allow the phone to sync. And of course make sure they are listed under My Contacts.

OP
T

thundercats

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestion.. I tried deleting both contacts out of my GMail contacts and re-adding them individually however it was still the same result.. I also noticed that my LED notification light comes on for every single txt msg I get (it's supposed to; its how I configured it using Handcent) except for 1 indvidual. Anytime that indivudal sends me a txt the LED never blinks. I'm about to do a factory reset on the thing..