SMS 160 character limit and out of network sms/mms

dibxna

Reaction score
So whenever an SMS is being sent and exceeds 160 characters, vzw conveniently reminds you:

messages sent to non-vzw customers with graphics/tones/formatting and/or 160+ characters are sent as plain text with only the first 160 characters​

I am fresh from AT&T so I just want a little clarification... does this mean that I cannot send MMS to out of network people? does this mean if I type out say 180 characters, that the last 20 do not automatically send in a 2nd message? I had the iphone so it always made it seem that your message whether 20 characters or 500 always went through as a lump sum batch, yet I know it just broke it down into several sms's. Can someone clarify the above questions for me?​

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So whenever an SMS is being sent and exceeds 160 characters, vzw conveniently reminds you:

messages sent to non-vzw customers with graphics/tones/formatting and/or 160+ characters are sent as plain text with only the first 160 characters​

I am fresh from AT&T so I just want a little clarification... does this mean that I cannot send MMS to out of network people? does this mean if I type out say 180 characters, that the last 20 do not automatically send in a 2nd message? I had the iphone so it always made it seem that your message whether 20 characters or 500 always went through as a lump sum batch, yet I know it just broke it down into several sms's. Can someone clarify the above questions for me?​

You can send an MMS to any network. Matter of fact if you have to go over 160 characters what you would want to do is send it as an MMS. That's how you get around that.

There is a counter as you type your SMS. You should be able to see if you are exceeding the 160 characters. I believe (not certain) that the text does not go out if you exceed the 160 characters.

Hope this helps.

OP
D

dibxna

Reaction score
thanks man, appreciate the mms tip... iphones didnt get mms until recently unless jailbroken lol... so we never had the option to send as an mms

on the droid is there a specific way to go about sending the message as an mms? the only way i see initially is to attach a photo making it an mss...

Last edited:

allikanbe

Reaction score
you can download handcent app for free and send most anything it seems. lots of options to choose

OP
D

dibxna

Reaction score
you can download handcent app for free and send most anything it seems. lots of options to choose

yeah i have handcent, but it still doesnt change that whole 160 character deal... i'm fine with sending it as an mms or whatever... just not familiar with how to do it... only had the droid for 2 days so far and thats the experience with the vzw network as well..

samiusmc

Reaction score

You can send an MMS to any network. Matter of fact if you have to go over 160 characters what you would want to do is send it as an MMS. That's how you get around that.

There is a counter as you type your SMS. You should be able to see if you are exceeding the 160 characters. I believe (not certain) that the text does not go out if you exceed the 160 characters.

Hope this helps.
If you want to avoid the 160 SMS limit you write about you should download Handcent. It’s a free app for texting that is far superior to the native app. If you go over 160 characters, it will automatically convert your SMS to MMS. It also has a ton of other features. You’ll love it.

dxb

Reaction score
Verizon phones truncate messages at 160 characters. The recipient will receive just those first 160 characters, and you'll receive an SMS notifying you of the fact.

Install Handcent, just into the Settings and look for "Split 160". Enable it. Large messages will be split into multiple SMS automagically.

Chomp SMS also has this feature, but I prefer Handcent.

OP
D

dibxna

Reaction score
Verizon phones truncate messages at 160 characters. The recipient will receive just those first 160 characters, and you'll receive an SMS notifying you of the fact.

Install Handcent, just into the Settings and look for "Split 160". Enable it. Large messages will be split into multiple SMS automagically.

Chomp SMS also has this feature, but I prefer Handcent.

thanks homie, as im getting these tutorials off here im passing all this to my friends with new droids lol