Smart Actions not quite as smart as I would like.

turbodave

Reaction score
I wanted to modify the "Drive" smart action so it would answer texts with one of the stock reply's, BUT....not only with the trigger of being connected to a bluetooth, I wanted to add another trigger such as moving more than 15 mph. So that it would be triggered even when driving one of my non blue tooth vehicles. Couldn't find such a trigger. :angry:

OP
turbodave

turbodave

Reaction score
I'm not talking about phone calls. I want to send "texters" one of the stock messages that tells them I'm driving and will get back to them as soon as it's safe to do so.

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
I know it would be cool to have this feature, however, this would require constant GPS activation. In its current state, the GPS only updates periodically based on your GPS/application preferences. Measuring real-time speed all of the time would significantly decrease phone performance, namely battery. Additionally... it has been my experience that those I text message know I'll get back to them as soon as I can; others can wait.

pksopp

Reaction score
I'm not talking about phone calls, either. You can set a rule based on the jack being plugged in. So if you're non-Bluetooth car had an audio jack, give that a try. I use a rule called Pandora for driving that turns up the volume, starts Pandora and auto replies to texts with "driving, will get back to you" whenever it's plugged in, since it's the only time i use the cable.

Would that work for you?

pksopp

Reaction score
I'm not talking about phone calls, either. You can set a rule based on the jack being plugged in. So if you're non-Bluetooth car had an audio jack, give that a try. I use a rule called Pandora for driving that turns up the volume, starts Pandora and auto replies to texts with "driving, will get back to you" whenever it's plugged in, since it's the only time i use the cable.

Would that work for you?

and can i also turn this thread into whining about GM bluteooth only working with calls and not music? I want UConnect! :frown:

OP
turbodave

turbodave

Reaction score

Would that work for you?
Probably not. I don't use the phone for music entertainment. I've got a hard drive juke box in my car entertainment system with over 30 CD loaded so that's all the music I need, and only listen to that when out away from my local radio stations.

OP
turbodave

turbodave

Reaction score
I know it would be cool to have this feature, however, this would require constant GPS activation. In its current state, the GPS only updates periodically based on your GPS/application preferences. Measuring real-time speed all of the time would significantly decrease phone performance, namely battery. Additionally... it has been my experience that those I text message know I'll get back to them as soon as I can; others can wait.

Understand.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Dave, yea I thought about the same thing. I currently have a rule (like yours) that when the Bluetooth is connected, auto-reply text messages are activated. I am required by my job to use a bluetooth headset when driving so it works good for me as is.

KaChow

Reaction score
Just a thought... But what about reposting this thread over in the SmartActions Development area? Afterall it is a general discussion area and perhaps topics such as these can be of value.