Slow internet connection

titleman

Reaction score
I have the RAZR M and my wife the iphone 4. When used as a hotspot for my laptop I can get internet about three times as fast using the iphone as with the M.

Anyone have any suggestions on the reason?

sunny757

Reaction score
You already try switching channels in your hotspot setup? So you are getting about 1Mbps on your M while tethering?

Also are you using a third party app or the hotspot functionality built into the phone?

OP
T

titleman

Reaction score
Yes I have tried switching channels and didn't notice any difference.

Not sure where to find the information on Mbps but for speed I show 72.0 Mbps.

I'm using the hotspot functionality built into the phone.

Thanks.

KaChow

Reaction score
Yes I have tried switching channels and didn't notice any difference.

Not sure where to find the information on Mbps but for speed I show 72.0 Mbps.

I'm using the hotspot functionality built into the phone.

Thanks.

If you would can you download this app, if you do not have already. Before running go into Tools at the bottom, select Display Speeds In: Mbps, make sure that you are not using WiFi and click the Begin Test. Once completed, post a screen shot.

OP
T

titleman

Reaction score
Going to need you to exxplain how to do the screenshot.
I get a reading of 3.84 mbps 1.99 mbps 75 ms

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Screen shots can be done my pressing power + volume down at the same time for a couple of seconds.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

KaChow

Reaction score
Going to need you to exxplain how to do the screenshot.
I get a reading of 3.84 mbps 1.99 mbps 75 ms

Those readings are extremely low any standard. Networks are always tricky and trying to find something that works without going to far into one direction is a challenge. Try this go into your phone select Settings> About Phone> Status and scroll to PRL Version and write it down. From the area that you use your phone as a Hotspot, dial *228 and call. Basically, what your doing is the PRL that your currently set at is being updated, this is harmless and it should refresh. Run another speedtest to benchmark the earlier score, also go back into the Settings> About Phone> Status and check the PRL to see if it is the same or changed. If still not getting adequate readings go to Verizon and get a new SIM card.

OP
T

titleman

Reaction score
Didn't get the screenshot to work but the reading after the *228 is: 6.09 Mbps - 5.28 Mbps - 71 ms

KaChow

Reaction score
Didn't get the screenshot to work but the reading after the *228 is: 6.09 Mbps - 5.28 Mbps - 71 ms

That is an improvement, however the target I normally aim for with the Mbps is at least 20+. At this point I would take your phone to Verizon and get a new SIM card, if troubles still occur troubleshoot with Tech Support @ Verizon. Keep that *228 handy it is helpful when traveling and refreshing the signal.

Btw for the screenshot at the same time hold down the Power button and the Volume (-) Down button, and continue to hold for about 5-6 seconds. As soon as the screenshot snaps let go of the buttons. An easy way to access these snapshots is through your Apps Storage Drawer> look for the "Files" app> select Device Storage> scroll to Pictures> Screenshots.