slingplayer app: to little, too late?

djrakun

Reaction score
I honestly don't understand why anyone would buy the slingplayer app that was released today. The functionality is limited to changing channels and it is 30 bucks, which is a really expensive app. With flash right around the corner for most of you why don't you just watch sling.com through your browser?

I've been waiting for sling media to release this player since dec of 2009 when they announced they would. I have since sold my slingbox, bought a monsoon hava, and have been using the 3 dollar test tube app to watch tv on my droid since february. 1\10th the price for the same functionality! Makes me feel like I made the right move

How can sling have the gaul to charge so much money for an soo when they provide a free alternative? Are they going to block android browsers or flash 10.1 like hulu does?

Anyway, those of you considering the sling app, you might wasn't to try out sling.com before you pony up. I don't have a sling box anymore to confirm but I have successfully watched some programs on the site, even without remote viewing. Not many programs work though because sling.com mostly just acts as a portal for hava.com

Samckaz

Reaction score
It will never work via the browser there is just not enough resources on the phone.
BTW Slingplayer dosent work on a rooted Droid, at least for me.

jcolt

Reaction score
I am have a rooted a droid running 2.2 and slingplayer worked no problem for me.

BostonDan

Reaction score
I believe they mean from watching through the browser. I believe the browser slingplayer uses Silverlight (Microsoft), so one cannot watch their slingbox via the browser (either Flash or skyfire).

Somebody, please correct me if I am incorrect.

Cheers,
B.D.

OP
djrakun

djrakun

Reaction score
It will never work via the browser there is just not enough resources on the phone.
BTW Slingplayer dosent work on a rooted Droid, at least for me.

I have the flash beta 3, bb froyo and cpu clocked at 900mhz. I have no problems with 'resources' and I can watch any video that doesn't come from hulu.com (btw in the original post I meant hulu, not hava.com

I just finished watching the colbert report and dolphin browser hd had no problem keeping up with the frames

MarkO

Reaction score
I have rooted 2.2 and I tried to watch my Slingbox and it did not work "We're sorry -- your current browser (or system) is not supported." I'll try it again before I order the app. It is expensive. I do understand the Apple fanbois willing to pony up $30, but that really is a bit on th ehigh side considering the most I paid for an app is $1.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I have no problem with the price as long as it is worth the money. From everything I have seen and read this app. pretty much falls on its' face. Now with Google TV coming as well as cheap DVRs like MythTV and services like Hulu whats the point of the Slingbox? Unfortunately it looks like too little too late.

MarkO

Reaction score
But Hulu and google tv will never match Sling. With Sling, I'm watching my own tv! My own DVR, my ownb local news, and most importantly, my own Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins and Celtics live wwithout having do dish out a ton of money like I did in the past (mlb.com, etc...)

BostonDan

Reaction score
But Hulu and google tv will never match Sling. With Sling, I'm watching my own tv! My own DVR, my ownb local news, and most importantly, my own Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins and Celtics live wwithout having do dish out a ton of money like I did in the past (mlb.com, etc...)

Unfortunately, I wish MLB.com would (video) stream to the android! I miss my red sox unless I'm on my computer (yeah, I purchased the crappy MLB.tv so I could see the sox). This out of market crap sucks! I wish local cable providers could allow one to purchase their team, but with all the out-of-market licensing restrictions, it seems YES (yank-mes) are the only team that has most, if not all, of the US covered.

Cheers,
B.D.

MarkO

Reaction score
I want to say I paid a LOT more for my mlb.com and it didn't include the Sox games. Freaking blackout... I was almost tempted to have my sister order it up for me out of state and use her account. But now I don't need to. I just tried the app and it works fine!

Best app ever? Hmmm, probably. ;)

ruinah

Reaction score
not sure why people think the app falls on its face. I bought it, I have had a Slingbox AV for about 6 years now and even though it's not "officially" supported it works fine. I installed this morning and had a local tv station streaming sitting here at my desk for 2 hours with no interruption at all. I have a Tivo Hd behind it and it works beautifully. I haven't tried it over wifi yet. Was it expensive? yup. Did I shell out the money when I had windows mobile? yup. I travel for work at times and I can't tell you how many times I've used it on my old phone or laptop waiting for delayed airplanes or in a hotel hooked up to the tv to watch my local sports teams or even just the stuff on my DVR. Never had connection issues or anything and I can go to 1 place for all my tv. I don't need separate apps for hulu, or mlb, or whatever. Everything is is one place this way. I just now have the added bonus of having it back on my phone for doctors office visits, not wanting to bother the wife while watching a game at night, etc. Slingboxes aren't for everybody but they do have their niche.

jjnagy

Reaction score
not sure why people think the app falls on its face. I bought it, I have had a Slingbox AV for about 6 years now and even though it's not "officially" supported it works fine. I installed this morning and had a local tv station streaming sitting here at my desk for 2 hours with no interruption at all. I have a Tivo Hd behind it and it works beautifully. I haven't tried it over wifi yet. Was it expensive? yup. Did I shell out the money when I had windows mobile? yup. I travel for work at times and I can't tell you how many times I've used it on my old phone or laptop waiting for delayed airplanes or in a hotel hooked up to the tv to watch my local sports teams or even just the stuff on my DVR. Never had connection issues or anything and I can go to 1 place for all my tv. I don't need separate apps for hulu, or mlb, or whatever. Everything is is one place this way. I just now have the added bonus of having it back on my phone for doctors office visits, not wanting to bother the wife while watching a game at night, etc. Slingboxes aren't for everybody but they do have their niche.

ruinah,

So you don't have any issues with slingplayer app using a Slingbox AV? I have the Slingbox AV and was worried from the notes that said it was not supported. What type of phone and version of Android are you using? Just wanted to know if it would work on my Slingbox AV running Slingplayer on unrooted Droid Android 2.1?

Gremlin

Reaction score
If i purchase it, and it does not work.. Can i uninstall it and will I get refunded?

btonetbone

Reaction score
I am using a Slingbox AV with a MotoDroid running BB 0.2.1. It works beautifully; I can't get it to run full-screen, but I am a very happy camper.

ruinah

Reaction score

ruinah,

So you don't have any issues with slingplayer app using a Slingbox AV? I have the Slingbox AV and was worried from the notes that said it was not supported. What type of phone and version of Android are you using? Just wanted to know if it would work on my Slingbox AV running Slingplayer on unrooted Droid Android 2.1?

I don't have issues with the AV at all. It's not supported because of the on screen guide. Other than that it works fine. I use a Tivo on the back end so I jut use the tivo guide. No big dea really. I am using a Droid that has been rooted with Sholesmod (old rom). It works great for me so I never saw any reason to do a different rom. Call me crazy but I like to stick with things that work. I rooted to get wireless tether and not much more. I also have the slingplayer app for the ipod touch (wife) and it connects to the AV just fine also. It *****es the first time it comes up and says its unsupported but works in some configurations. Never could figure out what "configuration" they were talking about. It just works. Like the above poster, it won't stretch completely widescreen but that's the limitation of the AV. It just doesn't have that aspect ratio. As soon as Flash comes around in a rom I will upgrade but otherwise my Droid is a complete experience for me. My next bg adventure is getting the Citrix Receiver to work on it with Netscaler vpx. Then I should be able to hit work apps when needed for break/fix.