Bandwidth Usage with Slingplayer?

UNEXPECTED62

Reaction score
I just downloaded Slingplayer for Android.... and I was very pleased to see that it did in fact work with my Slingbox Classic, albeit with a little limited functionality. Basically, I can just change channels and thats it. No guide, but oh well. The TV is there. I just have to remember my channels I suppose.

One question is how does this thing work with bandwidth? If I go on a long road trip, slap the Droid in a car dock and let the TV run for a couple hours, will I go over? I use 3G Watchdog, so I do know an actual megabyte count. But when you go over 5 GB for the month will Verizon really start to complain and bill me more, or is it sort of a rough guideline? I don't really understand "unlimited data" and "5 GB" together... it doesn't make sense.

Is an app like Slingplayer just death to my bandwidth usage?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You don't have to worry, you bought an unlimited data plan. Verizon cant push any extra charges on you for using an app from the market.

OP
UNEXPECTED62

UNEXPECTED62

Reaction score

djrakun

Reaction score
I use test tube which is a hava client, very similar to slingbox/slingplayer. I maybe watch 2 or 3 baseball games or wc matches per month with it, and maybe an occasional tv show on the train. I also use 3g watchdog and this combined with my last.fm usage I have never reached 5gb. Vzw only said that if you repeatedly exceed your 5gb limit, I.e. several months in a row, will they assume you to be tethering, and now that there are data chewing apps out there greater than streaming audio, I think you have a defense against any fees if vzw does fine you. After all, like you say it is a legitimate paid app and you should be able to use anything on the market that vzw doesn't block however you choose.i don't think vzw is going to do anything to minor violations any way.now that flash is released, a lot of people will be watching tv on their phone. That said, why don't you just use sling.com instead of posting for an app? Just curious...

I youf are worried that you will be going over a lot, you can download apndroid, which works with 3g watchdog to cut off your 3g if your usage goes too high. My guess is that if you have the stock battery though you won't be able to watch enough tv to exceed the limit anyway. Constant screen and 3g will burn through a fully charged stock battery in a few hours tops. I disconnect during commercials, one to save some bandwidth, but mostly to save battery and cool down the phone (oh yeah, if you use setcup or overclock you'll likely trip the failsafe if you are set on battery temp. I keep my phone at 900mhz now and it can go a lot longer while streaming)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
You don't have to worry, you bought an unlimited data plan. Verizon cant push any extra charges on you for using an app from the market.

I dunno .... I'm still skeptical. I mean this is obviously safer than tethering, but this article does a great job of highlighting what I'm talking about.

They bolded the important sections. Most notably, the "streaming video" part.

Verizon Admits that their Unlimited Data Plan is Limited to 5GB Per Month

That link is for Verizon EVDO Wireless Data Service Not the smartphone unlimited data plan. You really need to stop spreading mis-information.

alm0614

Reaction score
I used 11GB last month with no charges.. relax people unlimited means unlimited for us