Sleep...Airplane Mode...Slow Reconnect

Blueshirt35

Reaction score
Been to the Verizon store over this and the rep didn’t have an answer. He removed the battery and told me to not sleep it this way. Hoping someone might be able to help me figure out if this is “user error” (first smartphone so quite possible). Or maybe this is just what it does. I’ll be the first to admit to being technologically challenged.

When I put the phone into sleep from the power/lock button menu, the phone goes into airplane mode after extended inactivity. I can disable airplane mode from that same menu but the settings menu will still show it enabled. I disable from there as well but it’s taking an extended period to get service back (generally 3+ minutes with one instance of almost 10).

I’ve been playing with settings since getting the phone so I wouldn’t put it past me to have pushed something that could be interfering with this. The phone easily comes back from airplane mode when I set it directly. Any thoughts other than to not sleep the phone this way? Thanks and don’t worry about “dumbing” things down if needed!

IowaMason

Reaction score
I see the same thing on my Droid 3

In addition to what you are seeing, when I turn on my phone after the extended 'sleep', the 'Standalone GPS services' gets unchecked (which might be related to it going into Airplane Mode). I have not had to remove the battery to get it to come back, usually holding down the on/off button for about 10 seconds, releasing it, and then holding it down again until it powers up from an off state works (then, of course, I have to go resetting it from airplane mode, etc.)

Also, as an aside, I do have not seen this same behaviour if it is plugged in while it is Sleep mode.

Trigonous

Reaction score
Sleep mode disables all network activity to conserve power, so it automatically enables airplane mode. Waking it up disables airplane mode, so when you try to manually disable it you're just enabling it again. Give it a few seconds after it wakes up to re-enable connections.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

shiek403

Reaction score
i am having this error as well.
but most of the time, my phone doesnt even come back, it loses signal (even if it comes out of Airplane mode) than freaks out and reboots anyways
its the weirdest thing iv seen yet

Yanks33Jets

Reaction score
My phone too...when I go into settings to get out of airplane mode the phone appears to be "working" for about 3-5 minutes to reconnect, then the box just re-checks itself and it stays in airplane mode. The only way I can reconnect is to try and make a phone call, then follow the prompts when it tells me to disable airplane mode. And this doesn't even work every time. Anybody know of a solution?

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I hadn't tried this new sleep mode yet. When I choose it I get a notice that says essentially what has already been explained here. A long press of the power button wakes up my phone and in less than a second the airplane mode releases and the networks start reconnecting. It didn't take long to get back to full use.

So first thing I would do if I were in your shoes is a full power down, then take the battery out for a full minute or more. Once the battery is back in place and the phone powered back on and fully connected, try the sleep mode again. When you wake it back up, don't unlock the phone for a second and see if the mode changes (watching the alerts bar).

If you have the same problem then the next step would be a factory reset and attempt again right away.

cp24eva

Reaction score
Any plans for motorola to push out an update for the few bugs that the droid 3 has? Great phone, but some minor glitches (some major) here and there.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mine did this too for a while.. pissed me off. Then I noticed it was due to JuiceDefender and my problem stopped. Or maybe updating roaming or something may help.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I could see things like JD getting in the way of this. Perhaps also things like Lookout or Wavesecure, though I think I was using Lookout when I tested it.

As for updates, one appears to be in the pipeline. In fact someone has managed to snag a development version of it and several brave souls have loaded it (right Ben?). I don't recommend it. Once the update is fully tested and vetted by the mighty V, I'm sure it will be released and help with a boat load of issues.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I could see things like JD getting in the way of this. Perhaps also things like Lookout or Wavesecure, though I think I was using Lookout when I tested it.

As for updates, one appears to be in the pipeline. In fact someone has managed to snag a development version of it and several brave souls have loaded it (right Ben?). I don't recommend it. Once the update is fully tested and vetted by the mighty V, I'm sure it will be released and help with a boat load of issues.
You are correct. I didn't go through with updating my "rom"/mod, or getting that "OTA" push update due to the fact I don't want to risk any type of bootloop yet. I was going through the process, then half way through second thought it and pulled out. I want it to be more secured first.