Skype. What's the deal?

skuba

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am a happy owner of the Incredible. My first android phone.
I installed the official Skype app yesterday and got that little 1st screen that says that calls to phone in the US will be charged as regular verizon minuted and calls to phones abroad will be charged as Skype out calls.
It also says that SKYPE WON"T WORK OVER WI-FI!

So here are my questions:
- A call from my skype app to a skype on a computer, no matter where in the world, will it be charged as regular minutes? and vice versa?
- Why won't it work over wi-fi? Let's say I am at another country where verizon doesn't even exist, I can't use skype then?
- Is there an app that can crak these limitations?

Thanks so much

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
I thought skype to skype calls were free. But skype to phone calls arent. And i wish it would let you use wifi but alas it doesn't which is very annoying. And i think there is an app on the market that has multiple chat clients built in including skype but the name escapes me. Does anyone remember what app or apps have skype built in?

pastorbob

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am a happy owner of the Incredible. My first android phone.
I installed the official Skype app yesterday and got that little 1st screen that says that calls to phone in the US will be charged as regular verizon minuted and calls to phones abroad will be charged as Skype out calls.
It also says that SKYPE WON"T WORK OVER WI-FI!

So here are my questions:
- A call from my skype app to a skype on a computer, no matter where in the world, will it be charged as regular minutes? and vice versa?
- Why won't it work over wi-fi? Let's say I am at another country where verizon doesn't even exist, I can't use skype then?
- Is there an app that can crak these limitations?

Thanks so much

I call my girlfriend in the Dominican Republic every other day from skype on my phone to skype on her computer, Completely Free.

to your other questions, it does not work over wifi... seems kinda dumb that we cant even do the skype to skype over it, which bugs me because i dont get the greatest cell coverage in my home.

OP
S

skuba

Reaction score
I call my girlfriend in the Dominican Republic every other day from skype on my phone to skype on her computer, Completely Free.

But when I call someone on skype the phone dials a number in Atlanta. Seems like it will be charging minutes.

Anybody else?

Thanks

pastorbob

Reaction score

But when I call someone on skype the phone dials a number in Atlanta. Seems like it will be charging minutes.

Anybody else?

Thanks

yeah it shows up as a 404 area code number right? Thats the same as me. I checked my usage and Last night I talked with her for over an hour, when I looked at my usage online it shows that call as 0 minutes. It should be doing the same for you.

jimnutt

Reaction score
I thought skype to skype calls were free. But skype to phone calls arent. And i wish it would let you use wifi but alas it doesn't which is very annoying. And i think there is an app on the market that has multiple chat clients built in including skype but the name escapes me. Does anyone remember what app or apps have skype built in?

Fring
chart

jccouture

Reaction score

Anybody else?

Thanks

yeah it shows up as a 404 area code number right? Thats the same as me. I checked my usage and Last night I talked with her for over an hour, when I looked at my usage online it shows that call as 0 minutes. It should be doing the same for you.

This can be very confusing, be sure to check it for yourselves. The way it seems to work is that it charges you usage at first, then takes it off the next day (or 12hrs later or so). I don't know what would happen if you were to go over your minutes then it back tracks it. I would assume it takes all of it back off including overages, it's just very weird how it seems to work.

My other concern with this particular app w/ the Incredible is I seem to have problems making Skype to Skype calls with it. I don't know if it's because of something on their end or mine, but my friend in Canada will answer my Skype call on her pc and get disconnected immediately. Same with when she calls me from Skype. Skype to Phone calls work great though. Very weird.

Anyhoo, so far I'm a very happy first time droid user with this wonderful phone. If any of you guys have had similar problems and have found solutions I would love to hear about them.