Call Over The Internet

Reaction score
Does anyone know if their will or their is an app out that allows you to make calls over Wi-Fi when you don't have service. Is that possible? I am not talking about a something like Skype. I want to use my regular cell phone number.

rabagley

Reaction score
Well, what you're talking about appears to be VOIP. If you want to set up your Android phone to be a VOIP, there's SipDroid. I've been playing with it for about a month and it works as well as any other VOIP phone.

However, you can't share your mobile number with your VOIP connection. The two systems (mobile and VOIP) terminate (talk to the phone) very differently and don't cooperate with each other. My new number cost me about $3/month + minutes.

You'll have to get a new number for VOIP calls, and people who receive your calls will see the different number.

cb2000a

Reaction score
Fring is a free Android program that allows for VOIP (using wifi and Skype or other internet phone service).

markol91784

Reaction score
Skype caller ID

Does anyone know if their will or their is an app out that allows you to make calls over Wi-Fi when you don't have service. Is that possible? I am not talking about a something like Skype. I want to use my regular cell phone number.

Skype has the option to use your mobile phone number as the caller ID. It will send you a text message then you enter the confirmation code. All calls from skype will display that number.