Skype coming to Verizon Wireless on the Droid

Fraxinus

Reaction score
bastosero - thanks, that helps. I though Gizmo5 was another VoIP service like Skype; I didn't realize it's SIP. It's not really an app though, it's a service you have to enroll in. You could use an app like SIPDroid to make calls over your Gizmo5 account, but you first have to have an account with them. SIPDroid simply provides the framework for making mobile SIP calls to your existing SIP provider.

bastosero

Reaction score
bastosero - thanks, that helps. I though Gizmo5 was another VoIP service like Skype; I didn't realize it's SIP. It's not really an app though, it's a service you have to enroll in. You could use an app like SIPDroid to make calls over your Gizmo5 account, but you first have to have an account with them. SIPDroid simply provides the framework for making mobile SIP calls to your existing SIP provider.

Yup, I forgot that Gizmo5 was a service.

Xsoldier2000

Reaction score
No, not saying Google Voice is a VoIP sercive, which Skype is. That being said, while I'm at home, and at work, my phone is conected to wifi. When I dial a number and use Google Voice, I am not using Verizon's network.

-----edit-----

Ok, I'm a dumb@$$... I just checked my Verizon minutes and Voice DOES use Verizon's. I stand totally corrected. I was under the impression using Voice didn't touch my minutes, sort of like the way VoIP would work, but I did know Voice wasn't VoIP. I don't know...brain fart maybe?....

bastosero your explanation of how this Skype/Verizon thing would work out was excellent. I do have family outside the US and this will be perfect for us.

Fraxinus

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a dumb@$$... I just checked my Verizon minutes and Voice DOES use Verizon's. I stand totally corrected. I was under the impression using Voice didn't touch my minutes, sort of like the way VoIP would work, but I did know Voice wasn't VoIP. I don't know...brain fart maybe?....

Well, you would definitely *not* be the first person with this misapprehension; particularly since the minutes usage tracker on Verizon's site is kind of laggy and takes some time for your GV calls to show up.

What it boils down to is that you *can* make unlimited calls over GV if you have a plan that includes a calling circle. Simply add your GV number as one of your calling circle numbers and, voila, unlimited calls.

bastosero

Reaction score
No, not saying Google Voice is a VoIP sercive, which Skype is. That being said, while I'm at home, and at work, my phone is conected to wifi. When I dial a number and use Google Voice, I am not using Verizon's network.

-----edit-----

bastosero your explanation of how this Skype/Verizon thing would work out was excellent. I do have family outside the US and this will be perfect for us.

It's all good, bro. By the way, have you tried calling your relatives using Google Voice for international calling? Have you bought some Google Voice credits? I just wanted to know how the quality of the calls were.

Xsoldier2000

Reaction score
I've only had Voice for a few days, so no, I haven't made any long distance calls yet.

I'm wondering now if the voicemail messages I receive thru Voice (it gives you a transcript and the actual voice message....without having to call your voice mail) IS actually using minutes... if that's the case, I'm done with Voice.

Sorry, I don't want to hijack the thread as this has nothing to do with the Skype/Voice announcement.

Fraxinus

Reaction score
Agreed, sorry for the hijacking. GV uses your minutes *while* someone is leaving the voicemail because the call is forwarded from your cell to GV. When you check messages using gmail or the GV app though there is no minute usage.

reykja

Reaction score
on the google voice, i have it forwarded to my email and i either read it or i can listen to my message there. i don't think that uses any mins.

chipstack

Reaction score
I don't think anyone has mentioned that google just purchaced gizmo5 and are currenty integrating the service with Voice.

Soon, GV will have all of the capbilities of skype and then some.

For those who are still unclear, you can have GV route your calls to you VZW number (which will use your voice plan mins,) or have it call a voip sip number like gizmo or skype (which will keep everything on data.)

I almost didn't get my droid because I already have a mifi and had planned on being an early adopter of the data only lifestyle with google as my one stop shop.

Sorry to bring bad news, but the tech just isn't there yet. Maybe with 4G speeds it will work, 'cuz 3G voip is sketchy.

I don't know if they are still ironing out the kinks in GV, but I made a call last night on my droid with GV handling all my calls and it sounded as bad as skype on a bad day and I wasn't even using it over voip. After toggling GV off, everything sounded fine.

I just got this droid two days ago after waiting months to test out GV/gizmo on the go w/mifi. VOMIFI, if you will. One day it will be all we need, but a trip down to the florida everglades reminded me that there are still a bunch of places out there where even verizon can't give you 3G, which only runs voip tollerably 75% of the time anyway.

Back to the topic, I think this is a last ditch effort on skypes part to get more customers before Google rolls out their new aquisition of Gizmo which will be fully integrated with Voice including the ability to port your existing number.

chipstack

Reaction score
I don't think anyone has mentioned that google just purchaced gizmo5 and are currenty integrating the service with Voice.

Soon, GV will have all of the capbilities of skype and then some.

For those who are still unclear, you can have GV route your calls to you VZW number (which will use your voice plan mins,) or have it call a voip sip number like gizmo or skype (which will keep everything on data.)

I almost didn't get my droid because I already have a mifi and had planned on being an early adopter of the data only lifestyle with google as my one stop shop.

Sorry to bring bad news, but the tech just isn't there yet. Maybe with 4G speeds it will work, 'cuz 3G voip is sketchy.

I don't know if they are still ironing out the kinks in GV, but I made a call last night on my droid with GV handling all my calls and it sounded as bad as skype on a bad day and I wasn't even using it over voip. After toggling GV off, everything sounded fine.

I just got this droid two days ago after waiting months to test out GV/gizmo on the go w/mifi. VOMIFI, if you will. One day it will be all we need, but a trip down to the florida everglades reminded me that there are still a bunch of places out there where even verizon can't give you 3G, which only runs voip tollerably 75% of the time anyway.

Back to the topic, I think this is a last ditch effort on skypes part to get more customers before Google rolls out their new aquisition of Gizmo which will be fully integrated with Voice including the ability to port your existing number.

bastosero

Reaction score
Wow, this is getting interesting then that Google acquired Gizmo5. Now, we get more options on how we want to use the Droid for calling. I'm liking this a lot. :)

bobmundo123

Reaction score
finally. Maybe they'll start putting two cameras on the phone, One up front and one in back so we can video skyp or apply a swivel type technology like seen on many of the older flip phones.. ex...

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/4186B8A37TL._PC_.jpg

http://www.melodiasmoviles.com/graficos/galeria/SAMSUNG-SCH-A610.jpg

both of which i actually owned before my droid..

haha the good ol days.. gotta love Samsung. come to think of it i hated motorolla phones before this guy. I just hated their flip phones i guess... =/

bobmundo123

Reaction score
finally. Maybe they'll start putting two cameras on the phone, One up front and one in back so we can video skyp or apply a swivel type technology like seen on many of the older flip phones.. ex...

4186B8A37TL._PC_.jpg

http://www.melodiasmoviles.com/graficos/galeria/SAMSUNG-SCH-A610.jpg[IMG]

both of which i actually owned before my droid..

haha the good ol days.. gotta love Samsung. come to think of it i hated motorolla phones before this guy. I just hated their flip phones i guess... =/

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, I sprung $2 for a google voice invite, worth every penny for the free data-based SMS alone, not to mention voicemail transcribing and email to your gmail account.

Also shelled out for Gizmo5 invite which was a waste. Gizmo5 is currently broken, or maybe more accurately they've suspended residential service.

Currently running free VOIP in/out via Google Voice, sipsorcery, sipgate and sipdroid. The calls are very good quality (better than OTA). I haven't really experimented yet with GV routed to my OTA cell or with VOIP via 3g (instead of WiFi). I do know that my 3g at home gets speeds of 500-600kps which should be more than sufficient to handle VOIP calls.