Skype for Android Hits The Market For All Phones Running 2.1+. No 3G/4G calling in US

androidpolice

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.androidpolice.com
snap20101005_004906_wm_thumb.png
snap20101005_011709_wm_thumb7.png

Skype is out, and not just on Verizon anymore! Less than 2 hours ago, the new, updated Skype hit the Android Market. Unfortunately, Skype decided to stick to no calling over the mobile data connection in the US (to Skype users or phone lines). That's a bummer, but we have no other choice and use WiFi. The app weighs in at 9MB and runs on Android 2.1+.

There are some login issues with Galaxy S phones, but Skype has already acknowledged them. Give them some time to work it out.

We went hands-on and provided initial impressions and a plethora of screenshots, available right here:[Breaking, Hands-On] Skype For Android Now Available For Download In The Market For All Phones! Still No Calling Over Mobile Data In The US

virus786

Reaction score
Well correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the old skype did not allow you to make wifi calls, thats what everybody always complained about. Saying its useless without wifi.

Now it can finally use wifi? but not 3g?

jdx

Reaction score
I dont get it either. Are there now 2 skype versions?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
it would actually be more awesome if it actually installed without FCing hahaa...needs a lot of work but I'm sure they'll fix it

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
this is exactly what everyone was asking for when it was 3g only, because people didnt want to have to pay for the phone anymore if they can call everyone via the wifi and now they can :) from what it seems like at least, ill try it tonight.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The Verizon version doesn't ding your minutes if you're calling other Skype users. For US users all calls to non-Verizon numbers in-country are counted against your plan minutes if calling non-VZW customers, international calls are counted against your Skype credit. I can't speak for non-US customers.

Skype-to-Skype is free, is what I'm trying to say, even though it uses the voice network.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
verizon to verizon or mobile to mobile has always been non minute incurring calls. (fragile, fragile)

Yes, but the Sype for Verizon Mobile also allowed you to call from your mobile phone to someone using Skype on their computer, and it wouldn't count agains your mobile minute plan. It basically added all Skype users to your "free friends & family" list.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
verizon to verizon or mobile to mobile has always been non minute incurring calls. (fragile, fragile)

Yes, but the Sype for Verizon Mobile also allowed you to call from your mobile phone to someone using Skype on their computer, and it wouldn't count agains your mobile minute plan. It basically added all Skype users to your "free friends & family" list.
+1

Couldn't have said it better myself (and, as you can see, I didn't. ;))

GrillMouster

Reaction score
So, here's what I see. Skype has two apps. One is called "Skype Mobile", and the other is just called "Skype".

"Skype Mobile" is only available to Verizon Wireless customers. It allows free calls to Skype users using your mobile phone's voice line (not data). The advantage of this is that your voice line is likely to sound better than if they had compressed it for transmission over your 3G data connection. The other benefit of using your voice connection is that you can simultaneously surf the web using Wifi (Unlike AT&T, Verizon's network can't handle simultaneous voice & 3G internet). Skype-to-Skype calls doesn't use your plan minutes.

"Skype" (available to all 2.1+ users) only uses your Wifi data connection (in the US) to make calls. It also includes multi-user chat. The review referenced in post #1 in this thread says that this app taxed the phone and that audio quality wasn't that great. I would probably only use this app as a backup to the first one, for those extremely rare moments that I have no phone service, but do have access to Wifi. Again, this is rare, but maybe if I'm in another country on vacation/cruise, this would work to call friends/family back home (but just using a calling card might be easier).

Horch it

Reaction score
So the jist is, since it's using wifi all calls are now non minute incurring calls (not on the 3Gnet) literally matching what the original skype to skype (read computer to computer) free calling is. But now the new skype is now on the android market for all. TRUE?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
So the jist is, since it's using wifi all calls are now non minute incurring calls (not on the 3Gnet) literally matching what the original skype to skype (read computer to computer) free calling is. But now the new skype is now on the android market for all. TRUE?
Correct -- but if you're on Verizon you're better off using the Skype Mobile app for Verizon phones as the sound quality is much better.