VZW's Skype Application available March 25th.

loophole

Reaction score
I wanted to ask before I installed and set up an account through skype. Can this be used at all to make your phone act as a streaming camera as well as a phone service? Would be useful to me if i could use it this way from my phone.

porr1

Reaction score
I have been using a service call jajah to make international calls, you can get a local number to call and you can add the number to your favorites in verizon so you won' t use your minutes. has anyone tried this this?

darthdroid

Reaction score
How do you see that you are using data and not voice? When i place a call to another skype user, my phone dials a number - this is clearly a voice call. Maybe vzw has some magic accounting that will not count those calls towards your monthly allowance, but it is still a voice call from the phone.

The details have been talked about on several web sites for the last few days, like here on driodlife. Skype to Skype calls use Verizon's 3G network and are free under your unlimited data plan. Skype to land line or mobile phone calls go over Verizon's voice network and use your plan minutes and, I believe, also your Skype credit.

The fact that it can't be used over wifi was stated in Verizon's original announcement in mid February, so I don't know why that's a surprise for everybody.

I can't see how the calls go over the "3G network" when i see the phone dialing a phone number to complete my (droid)skype-to-(pc)skype call. Give it a try, and see for yourself. Call some skype user, and see how the 3g icon goes away.

Fraxinus

Reaction score
My understanding was that Verizon routes Skype calls (whether to a PC or another phone) over their voice network. This is likely to preserve call quality between your handset and their tower. Once on the Verizon network, however, the call is routed as an IP call, not a regular voice call. If you call someone's computer it uses CDMA voice but does *not* run down your minute allowance.

I believe this is an accurate statement, someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
What do you mean? I can make calls to other skype users, as they can make calls to me.

It also lets you make calls to landlines.

Maybe I misunderstand what skype out and voip is?

Make sure you aren't using that skype lite piece of crap.

darthdroid

Reaction score
My understanding was that Verizon routes Skype calls (whether to a PC or another phone) over their voice network. This is likely to preserve call quality between your handset and their tower. Once on the Verizon network, however, the call is routed as an IP call, not a regular voice call. If you call someone's computer it uses CDMA voice but does *not* run down your minute allowance.

I believe this is an accurate statement, someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

This seems to be accurate, from how the app behaves. I was under the impression that the skype app will call using your data connection, thus allowing you to use other apps that use data (nav, browser etc), but i guess this is not the case.
I can't see any difference so far between this version and the "lite" version that was available some time ago.
Btw, has anyone been successful at making a skype call overseas to another skype user? the app keeps on failing when i try to call someone who's not in the US.

Reaction score
I can't see how the calls go over the "3G network" when i see the phone dialing a phone number to complete my (droid)skype-to-(pc)skype call. Give it a try, and see for yourself. Call some skype user, and see how the 3g icon goes away.

Hmm... 3g does go off. Maybe they're routing it over their voice network for free somehow. But all the posts I've read said that voice would go over the data network. They say Skype to Skype is unlimited and free. I guess we'll just have to trust Verizon and believe what they say. lol

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
You can't see any difference? Really?

I must be easily impressed then.

nphil

Reaction score
I don't think this is true voip, like how SIPdroid works. It's pretty much the same as google voice, except calls are routed over a toll-free number.

I have ****ty 3G reception where I live, (data transfer doesn't work) but I can still make skype calls, so I guess that proves my point. I believe the 3G requirement is only for text chat, so why they would require you to turn off wifi is beyond me.

On the other hand, who really gives a damn if you have to turn off wifi? You still DO get free skype-skype calls/chat and routing these calls through the CDMA network results in better voice quality IMO.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
I don't think this is true voip, like how SIPdroid works. It's pretty much the same as google voice, except calls are routed over a toll-free number.

A buddy of mine once showed me the only way to see if true VOIP is working on the phone is to turn off your cell signal so put the phone into airplane mode and than turn on your wifi so that you are only connected to wifi and not the cell towers and than try making a phone call however you think it will work, if its true VOIP like (gizmo5 w/ sipdroid w/ google voice) than it will dial through, however if you just try to use skype, or google voice or any other "voip" service it will not go through with airplane mode turned off. So true VOIP only is real VOIP when you can make phone calls without a cell tower signal using just the wifi connection. If im wrong someone correct me but im pretty sure thats how it goes for VOIP calls for anyone interested.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
How are you gonna test that when wifi doesn't work with this app?

darthdroid

Reaction score

A buddy of mine once showed me the only way to see if true VOIP is working on the phone is to turn off your cell signal so put the phone into airplane mode and than turn on your wifi so that you are only connected to wifi and not the cell towers and than try making a phone call however you think it will work, if its true VOIP like (gizmo5 w/ sipdroid w/ google voice) than it will dial through, however if you just try to use skype, or google voice or any other "voip" service it will not go through with airplane mode turned off. So true VOIP only is real VOIP when you can make phone calls without a cell tower signal using just the wifi connection. If im wrong someone correct me but im pretty sure thats how it goes for VOIP calls for anyone interested.

If you place a skype to skype call, you will notice that your 3g/1x indicator goes away - you can try to load something in the web browser if that is not enough evidence . The skype call is treated just like any other call you dial out from your phone. If it truly used the data connection, you will not see an entry in the phone call log, with the 404-941-8599 number in it every time. This is exactly the same as google-voice.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

If you place a skype to skype call, you will notice that your 3g/1x indicator goes away - you can try to load something in the web browser if that is not enough evidence . The skype call is treated just like any other call you dial out from your phone. If it truly used the data connection, you will not see an entry in the phone call log, with the 404-941-8599 number in it every time. This is exactly the same as google-voice.

Not sure if you are agreeing with me on my comment but thats what i have been saying lol, skype to skype its great but if you are calling land lines you may as well use google voice either way it isnt truely "free" as people are assuming it will be.

App is great for skype to skype calling, but not when calling land lines or any other number that isnt a skype number, might as well call from your cell or google voice.