Skyfire 2.0 released

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I also cannot advance the video stream

Yeah, I wanna be able to zoom past those stupid intros (dancing around, making faces and stuff) and get right to the fun parts. :)

Seriously - Is the browser converting the vids so android can play them or is it done server side or whatever? Just curious, no biggie.

necrosays

Reaction score
I uninstalled my stock browser ... could this be an issue?
The only browser i have right now is xscope and skyfire.
I tried to "uncheck" xscope as default browser to see if it would help.
but skyfire will still FC upon opening. :(
Anyone have any ideas?

altovintner

Reaction score
On my unrooted Moto Droid, most of the videos on sites that are referenced by Skyfire work. I am pleased with this aspect. As others have posted, I, too, have not figured out how to fast forward on the videos.

As others have noticed, Hulu videos do not work. I also could not get the flash NY Times videos to work. Sites that have yet to work for me also include TV episodes on abc.com (like Lost...), Netflix, and a few others.

All in all, the progress on getting videos on our phones has been enlightening. Back in December 2008, when I got my Storm1, I was elated to get any videos at all. Now, about 18 months later, we are on the cusp of viewing videos of all types on our phones. In just a few short months, we should have Android flash working for us.

The questions that remain are what sites will have videos for free, what sites will charge, and for those who charge, what will be the fee.

Be well.

snappingfish

Reaction score
its beta, and?

It's beta so you need to understand that
Everyone knows, or everyone that's read this thread should know its beta. That being said, I am, for one, glad the discussion goes on. That's how I see what anomalies the app might have, and who's gettin' what!

:biggrin:

Its how guys like me learn, without brickin' my own phone, tryin to go when & where I shouldn't be going! I like the looks, and the feel and the potential of this browser. I am just biding my time, reading the posts, and seeing how it develops. I gotta say, that I am still defaulted on xScope, among the reasons being that it a great browser, and if something does stump the tech-types, Gary (dev) is always close and easy to get a hold of to help. That, for me, is a HUGE +!

armeddroid

Reaction score
Mine isn't rooted and yes it does lag for me but its a beta. it starts to load quick but in the end it tends to snails out. P2Z is a bit choppy. But decent for a beta. Overall I like it but its not my #1 choice.

That aside, how do you add bookmarks to the main BM screen? Same as Opera? o_O?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

SteveC

Reaction score
I uninstalled my stock browser ... could this be an issue?
The only browser i have right now is xscope and skyfire.
I tried to "uncheck" xscope as default browser to see if it would help.
but skyfire will still FC upon opening. :(
Anyone have any ideas?

That was my problem and I'd bet it is yours too. With several ROM's working fine with Skyfire, uninstalling the stock browser from my phone gave immediate FC upon opening Skyfire.

D

davidjmorin

That's because it depends on ur stock browser currently. Read the forums

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk hacked!

zero7404

Reaction score
i removed skyfire ....

the more aftermarket browsers i use, the more i like the baked in browser. simple to use, integrates well with os, etc.

flash is coming with 2.2, so it's only a matter of time ... i personally don't need flash for the browsing i do on my fone, but it would be nice when it comes around on the stock browser.

OldguyMark

Reaction score
Just downloaded it - seems to work fine on a stock phone - went to BBC, showed the video pop-up box, but none would play, kept saying I had the wrong flash version(?) - will keep playing with it ... it is a beta version ....

darreno1

Reaction score
I've been using it for a couple days now. So far I really like it and the flash videos look pretty good. I can watch my CNN videos now and I've tried a few other sites and they work as well. Couple things I'd like to share:

-long pressing on the video thumbnails brings up a menu with 'open' as a choice. I find this to be the most reliable way to open videos.

-even though a video may not load the first time, it doesn't mean it won't load Sometimes a refresh is needed or the long press method described above.

-this browser does require some housekeeping (more so than the others I've noticed). If you notice it's getting slow, always check to be sure multiple tabs are not open in the background. I had about 9 tabs open and didn't realize it. And remember to clear the cache once in a while.

-you can set the browser in the settings> privacy menu to clear the cache on exit. You should also clear the cookies when a site doesn't function any more like it should. For example I found that Google searches were not working anymore until I cleared the cookies.

-to exit the browser, long press the back button.

Can't wait for the next update..

Sherry

Reaction score
Skyfire homepage

Navigation is a little clunky to me - but then I am not used to it yet. I like the ability to view videos and will keep it for that little benefit. My question is... is the home page configurable? 90% of the links are places I would like to change to my favorites.

snappingfish

Reaction score
setting home page

Navigation is a little clunky to me - but then I am not used to it yet. I like the ability to view videos and will keep it for that little benefit. My question is... is the home page configurable? 90% of the links are places I would like to change to my favorites.

Do you have a homepage already put together on your pc? You can change the homepage by the drop-down arrow in the upper right end of the menu bar, then settings, then browser settings, then set homepage.......

D

davidjmorin

Yes this is the best browser

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk hacked

Sherry

Reaction score
thanks, good idea, but what I actually was referring to was the page with all of their Links, but used your suggestion and now don't see that page. LOL