silencing notifications without unlocking phone?

jliller

Reaction score
Is there any way to silence the notification music (like when I get a text) without having to unlock the phone and pull down the notifications tab?

slacker0503

Reaction score
You have to go into your settings of your messaging app to set up how you want your notifications. If you got to the bottom of the settings menu there is an option to change your ringtone and one of the choices is "silent". Should be what you're looking for

OP
J

jliller

Reaction score
You have to go into your settings of your messaging app to set up how you want your notifications. If you got to the bottom of the settings menu there is an option to change your ringtone and one of the choices is "silent". Should be what you're looking for

I think you misunderstand: I want to be notified by my chosen ringtone when I get a text.

However, if I'm in the middle of something (ex: talking to boss, driving the car) I would like to be able to reach into my pocket and press a button to silence the ringer instead of pulling the phone out, sliding it to unlock, and sliding down the notifications tab.

In my past LG phones I could just hit the volume button on the side of the phone and it would silence the ringer, but that doesn't seem to work on the Droid.

slacker0503

Reaction score
I see. Well, you can have it set up to just vibrate instead of a ringtone that way if it helps. I know that if you hit the power button on a call it silences your phone automatically also. You may just need to get a simple tone for your texts though that only lasts a second or so

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

validoption

Reaction score
I don't know about texts, but incoming calls can be silenced by pressing the volume up or down...I'm not entirely sure which--or if it matters--because I only do it on accident when I'm taking the phone out of the holster to answer it. Also, I'm on Kangerade Froyo, so I don't know if that matters. But, it silences phone call ringtones, so maybe it would do the same for texts? I usually use an alert sound for texts, so I've never had opportunity to test it out. Hope that helps.

You have to go into your settings of your messaging app to set up how you want your notifications. If you got to the bottom of the settings menu there

I think you misunderstand: I want to be notified by my chosen ringtone when I get a text.

However, if I'm in the middle of something (ex: talking to boss, driving the car) I would like to be able to reach into my pocket and press a button to silence the ringer instead of pulling the phone out, sliding it to unlock, and sliding down the notifications tab.

In my past LG phones I could just hit the volume button on the side of the phone and it would silence the ringer, but that doesn't seem to work on the Droid.

Sent from my Droid