Signal Strength

bama stripes

Reaction score
The signal strength on my Maxx is 1/2 of what it was pre-update. My wife's Maxx is still on GB and has 5 bars vs my 2.

Anyone experience this or have a fix ?

thebeeobee

Reaction score
Bars mean nothing. Check the actual numbers..they are available in the settings somewhere.

The nexus went through this...

Here is an explanation: AnandTech - Investigating the Galaxy Nexus LTE Signal Issue

And here are the bars recalibrated in 4.0.4 on the Nexus: AnandTech - CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4 Update Changes Signal Reporting

So yeah, check the actual signal numbers and see if there is a drop. There may be (I don't know), but I bet you they just scaled the bars differently. Curious to see your findings.

OP
B

bama stripes

Reaction score
Found signal strength in "About Phone" under Settings. The signal strengths ranged from -108dBm (2 bars) to -78 dBm (3 bars). My wife's phone, still operating GB, reflected -90 dBm (5 bars) to -85 dBm(5 bars) for the same period.

Sounds like there may be a change in the scale used to calculate the number of bars from GB to ICS.

yzonker

Reaction score
Yea, GB was always really optimistic about singal level in regards to the # of bars it displayed. I think they've actually gone to a more usable scale in ICS.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cant even go by the numbers anymore. ICS shows LTE bars and decibels more accurately.

I have seen in the exact same spot 1x, 3G and 4G all have different bars and decibels. 4G looked worse now than on GB too. Easy way to see this is in the About Phone or Network areas. On 3G, it should show 1x and 3G readings at the same time and it they be different. The bars will represent 3G if the phone is connected to 3G.

I think on GB and before...it was showing the 1x readings, cant remember now. Either way....on GB and before it wasn't showing the accurate 4G bars and decibels.

Last edited:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Based on download/upload speeds this ics update ruined Motorola reputation for having best reception in business.

For example: I have nexus, wife has maxx. Her d/u speeds were always 2-3x of my nexus. After the update its same or worse then nexus. On both 4G and 3g.

I used to be able to watch espn over 3g on high definition with her phone, now it can hardly keep low def going without buffering. Motorola really ****ed up the radios with this update.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Based on download/upload speeds this ics update ruined Motorola reputation for having best reception in business.

For example: I have nexus, wife has maxx. Her d/u speeds were always 2-3x of my nexus. After the update its same or worse then nexus. On both 4G and 3g.

I used to be able to watch espn over 3g on high definition with her phone, now it can hardly keep low def going without buffering. Motorola really ****ed up the radios with this update.

After a few days of settling it should get better. I factory data reset and all is ten times better...my issue now is browser hanging occasionally

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

xtor

Reaction score
droid2drummer said:
After a few days of settling it should get better. I factory data reset and all is ten times better...my issue now is browser hanging occasionally

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

How do you do a factory data reset on ics?, what will i loose?

point of origin

aggiesrul8

Reaction score

After installing ICS, my Maxx seems to run faster. I guess different strokes for different folks (as with most any Operating system update/upgrade)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
After installing ICS, my Maxx seems to run faster. I guess different strokes for different folks (as with most any Operating system update/upgrade)

Yea....cuz I havent had any better or worse battery life or worse data speeds after the ICS update. Those 2 things I have seen some ppl complain about.

nanohead

Reaction score

That should not be the case unfortunately. Same software, running on same hardware, should yield same results. Especially on cell phones on the wireless part, the baseline should be identical. The entire technology industry relies on that assumption. Not a good thing if they are all different

memedic95

Reaction score
That should not be the case unfortunately. Same software, running on same hardware, should yield same results. Especially on cell phones on the wireless part, the baseline should be identical. The entire technology industry relies on that assumption. Not a good thing if they are all different

When you update an OS with a new one and everyone has all kinds of different 3rd party app's installed, the new OS will install differently on each device which can cause any number of things to happen. When you do a Factory Data Reset, then and only then will you get identical results unless of course their is some kind of defect with the hardware on the device.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

When my Droid 1 was my main phone...I was heavy into custom ROMs, kernels. You would be surprised how the same exact kernel would be great for x amount of users....and not so good for x amount of users. The cpu's each phone has isnt necessarily the same exact one. I think thats why different ppl got different results with the same exact kernel. How these phones are built, put together isnt necessarily the same exact way.

Perfect and easy example...the black splotches on some RAZR's and G Nex screens. Its there on different phones that use Amoled screens. It looks worse on some, and virtually non existent on others. I have a PS Vita...that the black splotches look ALOT worse than my RAZR.

Last edited:

marbeezy

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I updated my gs3 to JB and my signal strength is still horrible. I'm at -107 32 asu and wifi forget it i get 1 bar and cuts out sometimes. Anyone find a fix for this or anything? Greatly appreciated!

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
It's well known that Motorola has some of the best radio's in mobile, but has anyone compared the G2 for service strength? I think this is the last bit of information I need before I pull the trigger.