Signal Strength Measurements For Android 4.3

GVLBob

Reaction score
I have read a few posts suggesting that the 4.3 upgrade had degraded the signal strength of the Galaxy S4. And it seemed like the signal strength on my own phone had gone down after the upgrade.

So in the interest of "data is a good thing", I went to my local Verizon store today to compare my phone to those in the store.

I was in luck: neither of the two Galaxy S4 phones in the store had been upgraded and so were still running Android 4.2.2. My measurements were:

• Store Black S4.... -70 dBm
  • Store White S4... -71 dBm
  • My S4............... -72 dBm
I consider the above to be within the expected phone-to-phone variation. Thus, the upgrade doesn't seem to have impacted the signal strength of the phone, at least on the basis of one data set.

:biggrin:

Last edited:

chris79

Reaction score
I'm sitting here at my house and used to get 4 to 5 bars and data speeds on speed test. Net app with 30Mbs down and 18Mbs up. I now have 2 bars and can't barely get over 6 to 8Mbs down.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bars are an inaccurate measure at best.
Under your settings menu check phone status dbm numbers would be far more accurate.
A speed test app is only as fast as the server it's linked to. I have found this website with a 500KB test to be the most consistent over the years.
http://www.mobilespeedtest.com/

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

OP
GVLBob

GVLBob

Reaction score
Bars are an inaccurate measure at best.
Under your settings menu check phone status dbm numbers would be far more accurate.
A speed test app is only as fast as the server it's linked to. I have found this website with a 500KB test to be the most consistent over the years.
http://www.mobilespeedtest.com/

Support Our Troops!!!
<
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

That was why I quoted the LTE signal strength in dBm. BTW, back home my LTE signal strength drops to -98 dBM. My CDMA signal strength is -91 dBm.

I would also point out that the data download and upload speeds also depend on the congestion at the cell tower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited: