Super Conflicted. S4 or other

cellphonedork

Reaction score
I'm on unlimited data, coming from Galaxy Nexus (Boot unlocked, rooted, running AOKP), prior to that I had a OG Droid (boo tunlocked and rooted). I just got the S4 to replace the very damaged GNex. The S4 is on VRUAME7. From what I have read, there is no way to unlock the bootloader. I can use safe strap, and then rom alongside the original OS. This seems very convoluted and not really what I want. Now there is 4.3 upgrade as well. Probably little chance that we will see unlocked bootloader.

So, Do I deal with TouchWiz as Samsung and Verizon want me to use it, or do I send it back, keep unlimited data and buy another GNex, S4 developer, or another phone like Moto X, HTC that can be unlocked?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm like you and came from the Gnex. I was a flash-o-holic with that phone. I had backups of 6 different ROMs at one time and actually switched ROMs throughout the day.

After all that, with my s4 that I got back in July, I'm still stock rooted. I recently grabbed the 4.4 launcher, but before that I was still on TouchWiz which I found to be pretty good, especially compared to what it used to be. I guess I got tired of finding the ROMs and waiting for things to flash. I think out of the box the s4 is an almost perfect phone for me. Rooting it just made it better.