signal issue

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I just wish I could find one cheap locally. I would take it back to best buy and swap it for an hd but don't have the $180 to do so.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just wish I could find one cheap locally. I would take it back to best buy and swap it for an hd but don't have the $180 to do so.

Best Buy will take trade ins on a lot of electronics and give you a Best Buy gift card for the trade in amount. It's not the most you could get for whatever you trade in, but they do ok, and it's very convenient.

Sent from my S3

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Spey said:
It seems that if the phone is not on contract and/or in service, there would be no place to annotate the device transfer that wold be accessible to both seller & buyer ... Seems like the seller would need to call Verizon, give them pass-code to notate they are selling device - but without pass-code to the seller account, I am having a hard time understanding how the buyer would have any access to confirm before or after the money transaction.

The two main reasons a phone might not have a clean esn is if the phone was stolen or if it is still active on a contracted line. A phone reported as stolen can never be cleared, forever to be doomed. A phone still attached to a line with an active contract be cleared as soon as any other phone is activated on that contracted line.
An example would be my Razr M's esn is currently not clear because it is activated on my line that is still under contract. The only way for me to clear the esn on my M is to activate one of my extra phones on my line...which then frees up my M.

Spey

Reaction score

wvdroidman,
Earlier you posted "If I can find a raz hd for under $200 I'd go that route"
Now you say quote above ...
Numerous solutions to your issues have been posted by multiple members, WTF

Spey

Reaction score
The two main reasons a phone might not have a clean esn is if the phone was stolen or if it is still active on a contracted line. A phone reported as stolen can never be cleared, forever to be doomed. A phone still attached to a line with an active contract be cleared as soon as any other phone is activated on that contracted line.
An example would be my Razr M's esn is currently not clear because it is activated on my line that is still under contract. The only way for me to clear the esn on my M is to activate one of my extra phones on my line...which then frees up my M.

I understand how the process works (including that there is an option to undue an action of a reported stolen device).
My question, or lack of understanding is directly related to how an account and/or more specifically a device can be notated such that both a previous owner and a new buyer would have access privileges. Effectivley, seller notates they are selling device and buyer has access to these Verizon notations. Seems to me a written Bill Of Sale would suffice the intent, but I am interested in how jntdroid comments could be implemented ...?

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
As for craigslist it is easier done in person so you can do the transaction in a store to make sure the phone you are buying is clear.
While I am waiting for a reply from some ads I responded to... it was mentioned about maybe a bad radio because people usually keep a 4g signal longer than I do.
How would I get this fixed seeing as I bought it at a best buy? Would I have to go to best buy and exchange it or can I go to a corporate store or premium retailer?

Spey

Reaction score
As for craigslist it is easier done in person so you can do the transaction in a store to make sure the phone you are buying is clear.
While I am waiting for a reply from some ads I responded to... it was mentioned about maybe a bad radio because people usually keep a 4g signal longer than I do.
How would I get this fixed seeing as I bought it at a best buy? Would I have to go to best buy and exchange it or can I go to a corporate store or premium retailer?

By all means take it back to BestBuy (seeing as you gave them your money). If they will not satisfy you, take it up with Verizon next under mfr warranty.

I would call Verizon directly, after BestBuy. 1-yr warranty from date of purchase can be honored through Verizon. If you can convince them that you have a hardware related "defect" they should send you a replacement. If you have not had the phone very long (confirmed via date of activation), I would specifically request a new phone vs. a factory refurb. device.

From what I read, any Motorola Warranty support would possibly require you to mail device to them (weeks without your phone ...).

Be prepared, if you go through Verizon they will 1st attempt to troubleshoot your existing device. This will take some time working with their tech-support and will most likely result (possibly begin) with a factory reboot/reset. This could be a good thing, in that you may have something related to your radio software somehow bugger up in the device. You never answered if you were running JB via a OTA (Over The Air upgrade) or if you rooted/flashed. If rooted/flashed you will want to address this before contacting BestBuy and/or Verizon, because this alone would negate any/all warranty related support (it's specifically called out in the Motorola Warranty), and would be a 1st recourse for folks to get out of helping you further.

Was the phone N.I.B. when you got it?
Is your account the only account phone has ever been activated?
How long has the phone been activated on your account?
Is phone under service contract (2-yr agreement w. Verizon)?
Answers to these questions will determine your bargaining power, for self-satisfaction!

Last edited:
OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
Over the Air Jelly Bean. Just got it a week ago and haven't rooted it yet.
Phone was New In Box from best buy. Got it for free after matching amazon.com
Yes it is under contract with verizon
I just got it last wednesday so it was activated then.

Spey

Reaction score
With those answers, check your PM for my suggestions to you.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
Just an update. They must have either fixed the towers or switched on 4g full time this morning. I've been on 4g all afternoon since 1230 (it's 520 now). I even went as low as -139 with still 1 bar 4g. Might have to do with me being on wifi here but not sure.

Spey

Reaction score
dancedroid

Pleased to hear you've found improvement to your wows.
-139dbm before dropping 4G is really close to the performance I have experienced (previous post - data results).
See if you can get a down/up speed check in a -120dbm or worst 4G area and post back results.

If your WiFi is on, Razr M will attempt to override the Data Connection. (I always turn off WiFi when I do not had a known WiFi I want).

Please check to see if your PRL has updated itself (I would guess not and you're probably still on 15154)?

I would expect that when you drop 4G (with a signal that low), that you will almost simultaneously lose 3G. In such low signal area, you may find that toggling "airplane mode" on/off may help device to reestablish a Data Connection after/if it drops out totally.

Obviously you are in a weak signal area when this is happening (could be temporary weak because of network related conditions or just in-between towers issue). If this is where your push-pin is on the map you previously posted (totally what I would expect in weak 4G LTE "Extended" area that is on the border of 3G also).

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
prl still the same.
So with a signal that low when I do lose 4g I will go down to 1x?
I've had 3g in my city since they launched service 3 years ago. Why would 3g go away now?

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
you were right. I took wifi off and lost 4g. I also lost 3g for about 20 seconds then it went to 4 bars 3g. Now getting -76dbm 3g signal.

Spey

Reaction score
prl still the same.
So with a signal that low when I do lose 4g I will go down to 1x?
I've had 3g in my city since they launched service 3 years ago. Why would 3g go away now?

Re-read my last post, and a few of the others containing detailed info related to your problems. Experiment with your settings and if you still have problems review again. Many times I find that with first hand experience doing something, that review sometimes reveals answers that I was not previously ready for ...

Pleased to hear you are on the right path, and things are improving for you. This is usually about the time someone drops my phone on the ground ...:blink:

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I see what you are saying
I am on the border of light red and medium red.
light red is 3g correct and medium extended 4g or am I misreading the colors?
Like I reported earlier I switched from 4g to 3g once I turned off wifi so could the wifi been causing the 4g to hang on that long?
Oh and I am in my house which is the reason I use wifi unless I am at a hotel or hotspot then I will keep wifi on otherwise I turn it off.