signal issue

Spey

Reaction score
Would motorola have to issue new phones to fix the signal issue or can it be fixed by software. I don't get 4g until close to the pennsylvania border with the razr m. Should I be getting some 4g here where I am now?

I would bet any odds Motorola is NOT going to "issue new phones". Depending on the specifics of problem, software can help as already discussed. JB OTA has already made improvement to 4G connectivity on my device. Further software enhancements (specific to the Razr M could help further as described above).

RE: "Should I be getting some 4g here where I am now?"
As I commented above, if you are located where the push-pin is on the map-link you provided then, you are in 4G Extended Network Coverage Area. So, NO you are not in an area where I would expect to get 4G all the time, and would expect 4G switching to 3G to be normal, and depending on line-of-sight obstructions with towers I would also expect to sometimes loose 3G for periods.
Below is the quote direct from the map-link you provided related to your push-pin placement (you are not in "Dark Red area" of the map):
** Access the 4G LTE network within the Verizon Extended Coverage Area; certain conditions may cause your service to connect to 3G in this Area.

Last edited:
OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
Thing is at wal mart which is in the dark red I can still even only get 3g. Even in the parking lot. What else can I do to improve reception? Would changing that variable you were talking about help or would it make things worse?
If there is a hardware fix what would that entail or would we just have to accept this problem?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thing is at wal mart which is in the dark red I can still even only get 3g. Even in the parking lot. What else can I do to improve reception? Would changing that variable you were talking about help or would it make things worse?
If there is a hardware fix what would that entail or would we just have to accept this problem?

Is this your first LTE phone in your area?

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I had the thunderbolt which seems like it got a better signal than the razr m. I am trying to get the razr m to get as good as signal as the thunderbolt. That is why I am trying to think of ways to get a better signal. Would a signal booster work or changing the thresh hold work?

I only get 2 bars 3g most of the time here where with the thunderbolt I got 4 to 5 bars here most of the time.

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If your experience with the Thunderbolt was better with regard to reception, then my recommendation is you exchange it. My personal opinion (based on my experience with a few different M's, lots of forum correspondence on various forums, etc) is that it's a combination of hardware and software and will never fully be resolved. As worried as you are now trying to make this work better, it won't get much better in a timely fashion.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
So what other phones are comparable to the m? I got it for .01 at best buy.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
So what other phones are comparable to the m? I got it for .01 at best buy.

For free? I'm honestly not sure... specwise, the HD and Maxx HD have the same guts, but more internal storage, bigger batteries, and nicer screens. The S3 also has the same guts, but more internal storage, 2gb of RAM, and the HD screen. The M is kind of in a league of its own b/c of it's size, its top-tier "engine", but mid-tier "frame" (sorry, bad analogy).

If you love it and can live with the 4G/3G inconsistencies, then stick with it - it's a cool phone and very unique. But if you can't handle the problems you're dealing with, I'd go back into Best Buy and shop around some more.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
can I change settings to make it pick up signal better? Other than that I am happy with it. I already sold the thunderbolt so that is out of the question.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
can I change settings to make it pick up signal better? Other than that I am happy with it. I already sold the thunderbolt so that is out of the question.

There are probably some software or coding tweaks that can be done in the radio (as spey already mentioned) that are over most of our heads... but other than that, I really don't know. It always felt like it simply "gave up" on 4G too easily, or when it didn't have to, or didn't try hard enough to grab 4G when it should've... almost like it was avoiding 4G unless it was the absolute strongest signal available. Supposedly Jelly Bean addressed some of those issues, but I didn't see a drastic difference honestly.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I guess you sold yours? It gives up on ALL signal too quickly. This needs to be addessed by motorola.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess you sold yours?

Yeah I did - because of that, and the camera. If I wasn't in an area where I know from a LOT of previous devices how my 4G should be behaving, I wouldn't have worried about the data reception.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
What phone would you recommend and how much can I get from the phone if I decided to sell it?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
What phone would you recommend and how much can I get from the phone if I decided to sell it?

I wouldn't recommend it if you just bought it at Best Buy. You won't get more than $400 for it on Craigslist or Swappa, and probably closer to $350-$380. Take it back to Best Buy and exchange it - you'll just have to see what's out there.

If you're hell bent on Motorola, I'd check out the Razr HD. It's bigger, but still thin, doesn't have the reception issues, and has a great screen, same UI, etc.

If a camera is real important, I'd check out the S3 or the DNA - though you'll be forking over more money for the DNA.

I don't think you'll see any of those free, at least not yet. Though I could be wrong - just check out what Best Buy has going right now.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I don't want to pay alot from the razr hd. If I can get it for cheap then yes. I love the m but the reception just plain out stinks.

Spey

Reaction score
Any day of the week I could pick up a Thunderbolt for $50 - $80 (typically with a few accessories). Any day of the week you could sell your Razr M for $200+ and put the change in your pocket. Loved that built-in metal kick-stand on the T.Bolt myself !! Last two Razr M's I purchased were under $200 and previously unregistered (but I shop around & even was able to get them local).

I'll even be your first offer trade/solution option - a Thunderbolt inclusive multiple cases (including BodyGloves & other high-end cases), extra batteries (including hi-capps and rear covers), vehicle-dock, screen-protectors, etc., etc. Most of the accessories are N.I.B. (tested/unused). PM me if you want more info on this.

Or as jntdroid commented, simply exchange your Razr M for one that has features of your preference. Always helps to research before you commit, sounds like 4G is important to you (was not when I committed to Razr M). If exchange is on your list to move forward, and Motorola is your brand of choice - suggest you review Razr, Razr-HD, Razr-Maxx, Razr-Maxx-HD. I think the larger format form-factor of these devices lends benefit to the size and positioning of the 4g hardware and associated antenna along with all the other radios and antennas. If you want an "updated" T.Bolt I'd look at the HTC phones. Suggest you make a list (features you require, features you'd like). Systematically apply this list to every feature/specification on any device of interest/review. Waiting for a manufacturer to "hopefully" make a hardware or software change to a device is simply a source of aggravation I.M.H.O.

Regards,