Signal bars??

emscapt47

Reaction score
Iam coming from my Droid Bionic with great reception and now my s3 has poor reception. Iam in places with all my other phones and had full signal. Now with my s3 i have 2 bars if im lucky...Thinking it may be going back....hmmmm

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bars are a terrible measure of signal. Especially since signal is displayed differently in ICS. However, Samsung does not build radios the quality of Motorola. My advice is don't look at the bars. If you can make calls, and maintain data, then I'd keep the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Yeah, don't look at the bars. If you want to know what your real reception is in a measurable number, go to Settings -> About device -> Status -> Signal strength. And even then, syndicate0017 is right. The real test of reception is whether you can send/receive calls and messages as well as maintain a data connection.

This topic has also been discussed in-depth in this thread - 4G not as good on S3. Take a look there to get a good idea of what other S3 users think about the reception, especially against Motorola devices. It would be a great place to ask any further questions you might have, or to provide any details on your personal experience. Keeping the discussion in one location is far more beneficial to the entire community than having random threads here and there on the same topic. :)

mofoliar

Reaction score
with the Razr was 96dBm,

Just picked up an S3 last night i get 88dBm.. The girl has a Razr too and i was checking her reception @her house sitting right next one another 82>78. On 3G,4G not available yet

Just thought i would share, people that are 2nd guessing the purchase, i was little skeptical cuz i had a Horrible Gnex...

B0B0

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought that having low bars was an issue with my fascinate, so I asked for a replacement droid X. Well it turns out my fascinate actually had a lower DB rating than the new droid x I got with full service (my fascinate only had 1 bar).

So I think it has to do with the fascinate software not accurately depicting what kind of service you have.

HomePC

Reaction score
Coming from a Rezound. The Rezound radio was just a tad better for my area, but not disappointed by the S3. I did a lot of reading on radios between these 2 and the Maxx, and they really are all pretty close; some of it depends on your area and Verizon messing with their towers/software all the time.

HomePC

Reaction score
Motorola has been making radios since the beginning. But Qualcomm (I believe) invented CDMA (Verizon).

OP
emscapt47

emscapt47

Reaction score
Well this is gonna go back im at work i got no reception and count on my phone a good 80% of the time...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2