sick of droid 2

AllieBaba

Reaction score
My droid 2 turns off once in a while..its annoying. Verizon can't do anything except replace my phone wth the same phone I had and its still acting up...is it just me?

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
first of all, welcpme to the forum. not sure what is going on with ur device but are u rooting it each time? are u running any task killers?

GrandWazoo

Reaction score
Could you please define what "once in a while" means to you? That makes it sound like it's only once every few days, but your annoyance makes it sound like this happens at least once a day. I'm not trying to be an A-hole by asking that; there could be different causes depending on how often it turns off.

OP
AllieBaba

AllieBaba

Reaction score
Rooting

what is rooting a phone? is it going to effect my data plan or anything like that nature?
and Ive heard that it gets rid of the insurance you have on your phone. is that true?

........and how do I change the battery symbol to upright, horizontal? I saw videos on youtube of cool batt icons like that:biggrin:dancedroid

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Before going any further can you tell us how tech savvy you are? This will assist us in our approach to helping you.

OP
AllieBaba

AllieBaba

Reaction score
not so savy with stuff like this, well I am good with figuring phones out but not so much this one

Jonas

Reaction score
Hey, check out my FAQ. I know its for the Droid 2 Global, but it'll get you started on the basics of the "phone lingo".

Rooting will not affect your data plan, but does void your insurance. But it CAN be undone. So don't fret too much.

The random reboots are more than likely from the botched Gingerbread update. Also in my FAQ. They are working on a fix for it. But it usually works itself out.

Also, welcome to the forums, feel free to pm me if you have any questions. :)

Edit: you will need root access to change your battery icon. I can help with that, but you'll need to do a little reading first. Its a big step, and if done wrong, you won't permanently break your phone, but you'll mess it up temporarily.

Sent from my Banana Phone

OP
AllieBaba

AllieBaba

Reaction score
What's so great about doing it anyways?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

xaelith

Reaction score
What's so great about doing it anyways?

"Rooting" allows users greater access to their phone's hardware and software, allowing them to do much more than they can with the phone straight out of the box. Overclocking (making the phone faster), changing the battery icon, and having the media controls on the lock screen are just a few examples. As others suggested, I reccommend doing a thorough search on the forums here and learning about it before you attempt anything, though. "With great risk comes great reward", or something like that.

Best wishes, and welcome to the forums :)

OP
AllieBaba

AllieBaba

Reaction score
Its legal right? Will it mess up my phone? And how do I do it?

Insidious

Reaction score
Its legal, and it will only mess it up if you do something wrong. 99% of the time there is a fix. I'm sick of my D2 as well, even after hacking it but I'm picky, so I will be getting a Nexus, hence the signaure. Anyway, hacking/rooting is generally pretty easy, and you'll get a lot more out of your phone. When I say I still have issues after hacking it, that's probably because there's something a lot deeper. I wouldn't worry about insurance either. You can just erase traces of root and nobody will every know ;)... Hope this helps. If you have any questions I'm pretty seasoned, and we have a bunch of users who can help out as well.

Sent from the future using my Galaxy Nexus!

Last edited:

Insidious

Reaction score
Its legal, and it will only mess it up if you do something wrong. 99% of the time there is a fix. I'm sick of my D2 as well, even after hacking it but I'm picky. Anyway, hacking/rooting is generally pretty easy, and you'll get a lot more out of your phone. When I say I still have issues after hacking it, that's probably because there's something a lot deeper. I wouldn't worry about insurance either. You can just erase traces of root and nobody will every know ;)... Hope this helps.

Insidious

Reaction score
Hmm didn't mean to quote that..

OP
AllieBaba

AllieBaba

Reaction score
Ya I do like my phone but just wish it could be better, like battery life sucks, this would be a better phone if the battery life was better. I complained to verizon plenty of times and got several replacement phones cus of the issue of rebooting itself. They don't do anything about it. So I'm just gonna have to get use to it untill I can get an upgrade in aug. Thinking about getting the droid 3 but it might have the same problems.

Oh yeah I purchased the Amzer battery..heard it was good I'm using it now and ill let anyone know if it lasts a full day!

Anyone know of any battery saving apps BESIDES juice defender?

OP
AllieBaba

AllieBaba

Reaction score
How do I get my phone to stop rebooting itself? It's really annoying!