Should I get DNA now or wait?

shaselai

Reaction score
I am deciding whether to upgrade my phone now (leaning on DNA...) or wait for 1st quart/2nd quarter phones to come out.. I am curious if anyone can give me an idea how elite DNA will be or it might be better to wait a quarter or so? I understand there will always be the "next best thing" but if something good/better is coming out for Verizon maybe better to wait?

WhoDunIt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I am in the same boat as you, my friend. My contract is up in February and I have played with the DNA at Verizon stores a couple of times and love it! I have done too much reading of "expert" reviews and now worry about potential software issues and lag. I have very limited actual usage time of the DNA but I have never experienced any lag or issues with it. I have used internet, Pandora and compared video downloads with my current Casio Commando. Of course the DNA killed the Commando. I am interested in seeing the rumored HTC M7 and it's specs. Supposed to have more internal memory with a slightly larger battery among a few other small upgrades....at least that is what I have read.....

HTC1234

Reaction score
HTC M7 is going to be a sprint phone. Get the dna no regrets here.

Chippy75

Reaction score
I love the speed of the DNA and the use of the 4G but I am unhappy with the phone reception indoors... It seems to have a weak signal 1 or 2 bars when my X had 4&5. As for memory it can only hold 16G and all the recomendations from other users are that that's for programs. Google seems to be pushing more of the Google drive (cloud) to free up space that pictures and music would take up. Covers... I am not a fan of the OTTER BOX for this phone... Adds a bunch of weight and the screen protector is chincy at best.. get the full screen guards on Amazon. One thing I do not like about the DNA is the placement of the volume buttons when locking the screen with left hand your fingers naturally wrap around that area and instead of putting the phone to sleep you adjust the volume.. this is something you can't do with Verizon demos because of the attachkents. Voice recognition is awesome on this phone and also offers facial recognition to unlock it.. hope I helped

cdogg777

Reaction score
I love the speed of the DNA and the use of the 4G but I am unhappy with the phone reception indoors... It seems to have a weak signal 1 or 2 bars when my X had 4&5. As for memory it can only hold 16G and all the recomendations from other users are that that's for programs. Google seems to be pushing more of the Google drive (cloud) to free up space that pictures and music would take up. Covers... I am not a fan of the OTTER BOX for this phone... Adds a bunch of weight and the screen protector is chincy at best.. get the full screen guards on Amazon. One thing I do not like about the DNA is the placement of the volume buttons when locking the screen with left hand your fingers naturally wrap around that area and instead of putting the phone to sleep you adjust the volume.. this is something you can't do with Verizon demos because of the attachkents. Voice recognition is awesome on this phone and also offers facial recognition to unlock it.. hope I helped
Please look at the reception # not the bars. DNA as well as thunderbolt (and possibly most of the new phones?) read reception differently. You will notice the actual signal # you are getting is the same, just shows different bars.

As to the OP, I can't really answer as I have no idea what's coming out. But I assure you it won't be much faster. They aren't going to release 6cores for awhile. The 16GB which turns into 11GB because of OS and bloat is one downfall if you store movies, pics, music, etc on there. But I love mine! I would also highly recommend getting it from a different retailer. Amazon maybe?

I did this: HTC Droid DNA - $55 AC/AR New Contract - Letstalk Wireless - Slickdeals.net
Got my DNA for $50, literally. So it's worth it!

Chippy75

Reaction score
Mine says 4g arrows are grey and only 1 or 2 bars.... The razor had a place to check signal strength..I have yet to find it on DNA. I AGREE BUY ACCESSORIES THROUGH AMAZON..even the wireless charger just make sure it Qi enabled. I just put my phone on it and it charged. No SLEEVE needed

cdogg777

Reaction score
Mine says 4g arrows are grey and only 1 or 2 bars.... The razor had a place to check signal strength..I have yet to find it on DNA. I AGREE BUY ACCESSORIES THROUGH AMAZON..even the wireless charger just make sure it Qi enabled. I just put my phone on it and it charged. No SLEEVE needed
Settings -> About -> Network -> Signal Strength.

And well I wasn't talking about accesories I would agree as well. You can get everything cheaper online than the verizon store. $50 for a case and a couple cheap protectors? $3.99 each on amazon.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have 8gb of available space and an empty 16gb sd card in my Bionic (very few pics and an 80gb iPod for music), so I'm not worried about space. Give me a 2700+mah battery, similar to the 2750 extended that I now use, and I'm there. Will Moto, Samsung, or HTC ramp up the quad core/HD game?

mindhead1

Reaction score
Got the DNA for the wife for Xmas. Upgrade from an incredible 2. She loves it. I have screen envy. I have a Razr Maxx with JB.

The DNA is a solid phone and she has not had any trouble getting through a day. Mostly calls, and email, text, GPS, and Facebook, tiny village and words with friends.

Lastly the screen is gorgeous and sized right. Definitely recommend the DNA for a casual to moderate user. Power users may want to look elsewhere for more storage and battery life.

OP
S

shaselai

Reaction score
ok, so i have had the maxx hd for about a week now and it is currently dying on me with 2day 18hrs of usage, the first time it died was similar time frame as well. I dont have any problems with the phone right now but i do see that my RAM has 182 free and 642 used.... is that a cause for concern? i know it is comparing apples to oranges but with the battery usage i had put for maxx hd will dna be half of that? below is a preview of my battery usage:

i dont know how to do that breakdown people have posted of battery screen but here's a list of the top ones...:
28% screen
20% idle
18% wifi
7% voice calls
6% bluetooth
6% standby

cdogg777

Reaction score
ok, so i have had the maxx hd for about a week now and it is currently dying on me with 2day 18hrs of usage, the first time it died was similar time frame as well. I dont have any problems with the phone right now but i do see that my RAM has 182 free and 642 used.... is that a cause for concern? i know it is comparing apples to oranges but with the battery usage i had put for maxx hd will dna be half of that? below is a preview of my battery usage:

i dont know how to do that breakdown people have posted of battery screen but here's a list of the top ones...:
28% screen
20% idle
18% wifi
7% voice calls
6% bluetooth
6% standby
This is the HTC DNA forum right?

OP
S

shaselai

Reaction score
yea. i am just curious if i should switch to DNA instead of maxx hd given current usage from maxx hd...

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
yea. i am just curious if i should switch to DNA instead of maxx hd given current usage from maxx hd...

It all depends what you want and if you think the dna battery power is enough for the whole day. I have read majority of the people who own it saying it's lasting most of the day when they get home. Also, if you think 16gig is enough space for you. The 2gigs of ran you will notice on the phone. The screen and camera is very nice on the dna. So it's your choice.