Short battery time :(

Bisjac

Reaction score
the only thing i could think of to counter this, is to set the brightness down.
but automatic brightness is on, and no other options i can see.
turning it off seems to blast it full power so it is obviously not going to help.

there must be something simple i can change to not let my phone drain so fast.
i check it hourly when at work, just light it up once an hour to check a message or 2. then dim the screen back down and pocket it.
after a whole shift at work my phone is nearly dead already.
this dont seem right

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alot of us use taskiller and advanced task killer to kill certain programs we don't think should be up. While there have been multiple threads up explaining we shouldn't have to worry about it, some of the programs still use data / gps while your multitasking to other things. That will eat up your battery quickly. I allow the main apps that are on the phone to start up and that's about it, any apps i've installed i kill once i restart my phone.

After 6 hours of 1/3 talk time, tinkering, web, and SMS. I usually still have around 60-65% battery.

OP
B

Bisjac

Reaction score
that sounds great.
if this task killer is what is helping the battery then i will give it a try :D

thx

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I mean i do it because i just dont want them running if i'm not using them. While it may not be a toll on the CPU, many apps running at the same time, still to me anyways, is going to eat up more battery then just having a couple running at the same time.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmm just watched a 2 hour movie, and used the phone for calls and light web surfing all day. Now at 40%. Make sure you disable wifi and Bluetooth when you're not using them.

superglen99

Reaction score
I had horrible battery life all week but not today, here's why. All week I leave the house around 2pm and have pandora running for the drive to work-about 30 minutes. While at work I either have pandora running or videos playing while texting a couple time an hour. By around 8pm my battery is at 15%. Today I did not use pandora or browse the web and only had a few texts. Its been off the charger since 1:30pm and nopw at 11:15pm and its at 60%. Much better. I leave gps wifi and bluetooth off all the time and auto dim. Its all up to how much you use programs that drain the battery I.e. pandora or web browsing

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Try charging the battery for a full day, or at least over night. Some people say that this has helped their battery usage. You can also go into Settings -> About Phone -> Battery Usage. It will tell you what is taking up most of your battery life.

ZeRo_C0oL

Reaction score
I check my phone all day long and it could still probably last me a day and a half if I'm not heavy on GPS, or music. Keep your GPS, wifi, and bluetooth off and you should be alright. I'm using the power control widget so I turned automatic screen brightness off and only turn it up via the widget if necessary.

comic0guy

Reaction score
my battery life seemed a little short at first, till i left it charged overnight, that seemed to add, i'm starting to think when it says its 100% it really isn't yet

im0uttt

Reaction score
I think charging it overnight will help. I will try it and post.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Does charging it overnight really help? Once it gets to 100% it should stop charging the battery on it's own and basically runs off the power cord. It's so the battery doesn't get overcharged and shorten the battery life. At least that's how I thought it worked....

I had an HTC Tilt and I used to charge it overnight, everynight, so about 7-9 hours a night. After a couple months the battery life was horrible and I ended up getting a new battery. I still have the original battery and that battery doesn't even last a quarter of a day now.

comic0guy

Reaction score
well apparently for lithium ion batteries now, you should charge them 24 hours when you first get them. And actually i agree with the fact to not leave it plugged in every night, but i think initially you will need to with this phone/battery.

I don't like to leave things plugged in too long, but i have a feeling that the droid for some reason is telling us 100% but really isn't.

My initial results(never leaving it plugged in for long past 100%) were going for 100% to 70% overnight(like 8 hours) with all power-hog stuff off. After leaving it plugged in overnight, it would be at 70% after 15 hours(which included like 15 full minutes of browsing/playing around and 15 min of Nav with GPS).

Either way, i suggest to initially leave it plugged in for a while. But after a few overnights, my plan is now to plug it in overnight, but connected to a timer, that way i'm only going to be leaving it plugged in for say 3-5 hours(haven't figured out how long i want to do this for just yet)..

jonf

Reaction score
Battery or phone problem ??

I have repeatedly gotten a 100% charge before shutdown at night and had 60% charge at startup in the AM. It was a true shutdown,not a sleep mode. I exchanged the battery at Verizon and have the same results on the new battery. Went back to customer service at Verizon store. His comment was " I just got the M. Droid and it's doing the same thing".Also implied :what do you expect with a new model? There is either a battery issue or voltage leakage even on shutdown. Too many people complaining both at store level and on-line for it not to be true.

MikeDroid

Reaction score
well apparently for lithium ion batteries now, you should charge them 24 hours when you first get them. And actually i agree with the fact to not leave it plugged in every night, but i think initially you will need to with this phone/battery.

I don't like to leave things plugged in too long, but i have a feeling that the droid for some reason is telling us 100% but really isn't.

My initial results(never leaving it plugged in for long past 100%) were going for 100% to 70% overnight(like 8 hours) with all power-hog stuff off. After leaving it plugged in overnight, it would be at 70% after 15 hours(which included like 15 full minutes of browsing/playing around and 15 min of Nav with GPS).

Either way, i suggest to initially leave it plugged in for a while. But after a few overnights, my plan is now to plug it in overnight, but connected to a timer, that way i'm only going to be leaving it plugged in for say 3-5 hours(haven't figured out how long i want to do this for just yet)..

These lithium ion batteries are not supposed to have memory effect.. right?