Setting a Recurring Appointment on Calendar

JKJeremy

Reaction score
I have a question that has probably been asked before but i couldn't find anything while doing a search. I have the Stock google calendar program that comes loaded on the moto droid. My question is when setting a recurring appointment with a specific time range and date range, for example tennis lessons from 7-8 p.m. every tuesday beginning 7/13/10 and ending 10-11-10, how does one do that from the phone? this is very easy to do when using the google calendar from my desktop but setting up this same appointment from the phone i don't see a way to accomplish this unless i'm missing something very simple...if you select every tuesday it just sets it to every tuesday infinitum, but at least the time is right, if you set an end date in the to box then it fills up the calendar everyday until that time despite telling it to repeat only on tuesdays....any help would be appreciated....

myriad46

Reaction score
I don't think you're missing something. It appears that there is not a way to do it. But...if you need to, you can log on to your google calendar account through a browser on your phone and add it there. It's a workaround, but it works.

OP
J

JKJeremy

Reaction score
that's kind of retarded...i actually did try what you said as well which would be fine with me but it's an even more dumbed down version with less options when i tried that through the phone's stock browser...it defaults to the google mobile version, but when i click to switch it to the desktop version on the phone's browser it gives me a message that says:

sorry, you are trying to use google calendar with a browser that isn't currently supported. press o.k. to view a read only version of your calendar. press cancel to continue loading google calendar and hope for the best.

neither results in helping me out it seems....any other thoughts...

myriad46

Reaction score
I went on to "hope for the best" and it seemed to work fine. Love the irony that it's not compatible with the stock Android Browser. Other calendar programs that utilize your google calendar may be able to do it. Not sure, though.

Can anyone using Froyo check to see if it allows you to set an end date for a recurring appointment in the calendar app?

OP
J

JKJeremy

Reaction score
o.k., not sure why it wasn't working for me yesterday when i tried that, but you're right i just tried it with the hope for the best option and it did in fact let me do it so i guess that is sufficient for now...it does have some graphical inconsistencies in the actual calendar month view but otherwise worked so i am fine with that....hopefully when we get upgraded to the forthcoming 2.2 this functionality will be available to the calendar program and the google calendar on the browser will be 'compatible'....does seem rediculous that their own program isn't compatible with their own browser....

mando

Reaction score
I have discovered how to trick the Android calendar into accepting a recurring event with a start and end date. Here is an example and the steps to do it.
Example: I want an event to repeat daily from November 20 through December 3 at the same time each day.

Step 1: Create the event in you calendar and select Daily under Repetition. Save the event. You now have an event that repeats every day for eternity.

Step 2: Go to this event on December 4 (the day after the day I want this to end). Select the menu button and pick "Edit event", then select "Change this and all future events." Change the name of the event to something else (I just changed it to the letter "X"). Save your changes. Now you have your original event name up to the last date you wanted (December 3 in this case) and the event named "X" for all future events (December 4 and beyond).

Step 3: Select the new event "X" on December 4. Select the menu button and choose "Delete event", then pick "All events". All future events will be deleted, but your original repeating event remains unchanged.

If you try to skip the renaming step and just delete all future events with the original name, your future events will delete for a moment and then come back. This is my experience on a Motorola Droid 2 running 2.3.20. I hope this helps you. Maybe Android developers will learn how to program something that the good old Palm OS did for years.

Dickie

Reaction score
Spot On Calendar Trick

Thanks VERY MUCH for suggestion for tricking the calendar to get repeating events. Works perfectly.

That the Droid Calendar has a repeat option, but no end date, is the best example yet that Droid software is built by kids in a garage. Terrible.