SetCPU on Droid X

Elkay

Reaction score
I installed it and all went well. I can't seem to find a way to overclock beyond the stock 1Ghz, though. Do we need a different kernel to be able to do that? Or does SetCPU just need an update?

I'm rooted, btw.

Yea. You need a custom kernel. They just rooted it so it will be awhile for kernels and roms to come out if any. The bootloader is locked so it might not even happen. The point in setcpu on the x right now is for underclocking to save some battery power

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Yea, no problem. If you know any about coding, you might be able to work with the stock kernel to squeeze some power out. Birdman is doing it now also

I write primarily in VB. C has never been my forte, only dabbling in it here and there. Right now I'm just happy being able to get all of the bloatware off the thing. City ID was really making me twitch.

Hahaha nice. Yea the main reason I rooted my droid was to get rid of the crap. AmazonMP3?? Fo real?? :p

my guess is we will be able to overclock. i know they somehow tricked the system on the milestone and are able to overclock (I'm assuming with stock kernel?), and we're rooted using the same process as the milestone, so hopefully the ability to overclock will be like the milestone, at least until/if the bootloader is hacked

That's what I was counting on, too.

And yeah.. Amazon MP3 was the second one to get the boot.

I am just wondering if we do see some kernels or ROMS for this phone, how high our TI OMAP cpu will take us? Just for comparison, although it might not be a real representation when we do see a working setcpu, the original Motorola Droid's TI OMAP cpu OCs pretty well. from 550mhz to 1Ghz+. I am hoping for the same with the X's. I love ocing my pcs, and I can oc them to high levels, so this is just more fun for me ;).

I have heard that the milestone overclocking method will work on the Droid X

It "should", but we don't know (at least not for sure) the addresses necessary to change the required parameters. I reached out to the dev that got it working on the Milestone and D1, but haven't heard anything back.

the stock kernel only allows it to hit 1k ghz.

cant go beyond that till some develops another kernel.

i dont see the need to go any faster though...its already fast....and faster you go results in a shorter battery life.

I actually use setCPU to UNDERclock my processor when the display is off, and when my battery hits certain percentage of battery left....

The kernel is not locked at 1Ghz. There are addresses that can be written to with a kernel module to set the frequency and voltage tables to higher values. We just don't know the addresses yet.

Back