SetCPU on Droid X

i understand it is not locked...but due to the devs not knowing the needed info...how do you get it above 1k at this very moment?

the stock kernel only allows it to hit 1k ghz.

cant go beyond that till some develops another kernel.

i dont see the need to go any faster though...its already fast....and faster you go results in a shorter battery life.

I actually use setCPU to UNDERclock my processor when the display is off, and when my battery hits certain percentage of battery left....

The stock.cpu governor already does that. Unless you are running multiple profiles, i see no reason to install setcpu untill a custom over clocked kernal is developed

I was just stating that there is a difference between "set" and "locked", and that we don't need a different kernel to achieve overclocking. You're correct that as of this moment, we can't set it above 1Ghz. I'm sure in the next few weeks we'll have it, though. Just a matter of having someone knowledgeable find those addresses. Once I know the addresses, I can set it manually without SetCPU.

i dont see the need to go any faster though...its already fast....and faster you go results in a shorter battery life.

I actually use setCPU to UNDERclock my processor when the display is off, and when my battery hits certain percentage of battery left....

The stock.cpu governor already does that. Unless you are running multiple profiles, i see no reason to install setcpu untill a custom over clocked kernal is developed

ya thats the only reason I am running setcpu...i had it on my Droid 1...it was already paid for...so I put it on my DX...

Isn't there theory supporting that there isn't a substantial difference? The way I understand it is that if you increase the speed that it takes to compute information then you decrease the amount of time that the cpu runs at full speed. This is the reason why the droid can run at 1.25ghz and still afford an acceptable battery life. Of course if you run it full out at 2x speed for 5 minutes vs 1x speed for 5 minutes there will be an obvious and huge difference in battery consumption but this is not a fair comparison!

Also they have 2GHZ in the works the faster it is the more software developers have to work with.

Only problem is that since there is so many specs and capabilities of android devices that devs probably don't know how much performance they can ask for.

Either way I am pretty sure that there is a near NEED for the majority of us to see what the Droid X can do and there is a definite use for it and there is an unlikely loss of overall battery life because of it.

Ok, I have overclocking working on the Droid X. So far, not looking very promising. It couldn't even pull off a Quadrant at 1.1Ghz without rebooting the phone. I think they have this thing clocked just about to it's limit stock with stock voltages, unless I got a bad sample. Haven't messed around with voltages yet, so not all hope is lost. I didn't get it working until 4am and I had work this morning so I had to call it a night. Will update more this evening after additional testing.

I use it to underclock with the screen off. Battery life has been a little bit better.

Are you seeing better battery life? *How are you triggering the UNDERclock? *_very_ interested in doing the same.

setCPU from market - $1.99? *or some other program.

Thanks,

Back