Set CPU help

OP
M

Mayday

Reaction score
Well... I tried to redo the first 8 steps of Matthews guideline, but it appears that route won't work for me since it goes straight into sprecovery. I guess that means to get rooted again I'll have to go back to an "out-of-the-box" state. I have BB v.9 installed and am loving it... only I'm not rooted and, consequently, can't overclock. If the only thing I'm missing is overclocking... then I'm not sure it's worth going through the whole ordeal again. Then again... if my phone is unrooted now because of something I need to get off of my phone... then that's another story. Do y'all think that's the case?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Well... I tried to redo the first 8 steps of Matthews guideline, but it appears that route won't work for me since it goes straight into sprecovery. I guess that means to get rooted again I'll have to go back to an "out-of-the-box" state. I have BB v.9 installed and am loving it... only I'm not rooted and, consequently, can't overclock. If the only thing I'm missing is overclocking... then I'm not sure it's worth going through the whole ordeal again. Then again... if my phone is unrooted now because of something I need to get off of my phone... then that's another story. Do y'all think that's the case?

Have you tried just applying the root_update.zip? That might fix the issue.

OP
M

Mayday

Reaction score
I just tried to reapply the root update.zip and it looked like that might have fixed it (saying "installing root" and "installation complete").... but something apparently immediately unrooted me again. I went into terminal emulator and typed in "su" but it again said permission denied. I suppose this means that if I want to overclock I need to wipe my phone clean. If I didn't do that though is it likely that there is something damaging on my phone right now?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I just tried to reapply the root update.zip and it looked like that might have fixed it (saying "installing root" and "installation complete").... but something apparently immediately unrooted me again. I went into terminal emulator and typed in "su" but it again said permission denied. I suppose this means that if I want to overclock I need to wipe my phone clean. If I didn't do that though is it likely that there is something damaging on my phone right now?

No, I don't think anything is damaging your phone. Another thing you can do is boot into recovery, wipe data and cache. Then got to backup/restore and do a simple nandroid restore.

marcogiudice

Reaction score
im not an expert but ive been thro enuff issues of my own to voice my opinion. ur phone is still ok, but ur best bet is to start from the begining again and do everything over. something is corrupt and u need to figure out what that is. so just go back to 2.01 from nandroid and see if u have root frm there and if u do, on ur comp d/l a new copy of the rom of ur choose, cuz maybe the rom file went bad during d/l or install. and check in the terminal if u can do su before oc ur cpu and then if everythings is good install set cpu. well thats my advice maybe not the quickest way but it should help..! let me know if i was any help or assistants to ur issues. marco
btw. u should try ultimate droids roms. they work the best in my opinion.! nd theres alot of help out there cuz alot of people chose that rom over the rest! nd the blackdroid team put stuff out faster then u can reboot ur phone..lol :) :motdroidvert:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help! As for your questions.... I followed Matthews instructions to get rooted and install BB.... which means that I used Titanium Backup. I also used his instructions to install Chevy's kernel. I didn't run into a problem until Set CPU. I guess I somehow got unrooted somewhere along the way... which is weird since I'm still running BB.

On the file directory names... I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for... but the nandroid file just says "nandroid" and was last modified on 3/27/10.

I'm going to redo Matthew's first 8 steps when I get home from work. I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I can manage to get it done.

Again.... your help is very much appreciated!

Hopefully you are all set by now. I was asking about the nandroid directories to see if you had any files in there, because you seemed unclear what a nandroid recovery was all about. If you had done a backup it would reside in that folder. I asked about both directory paths because at the time I didn't know if you had used sprecovery or clockwork.

Let us know how you made out.