Seriously VZW .... wow!

cjvdh

Reaction score
Okay so I just signed a new 2 year contract with VZW and bought myself a Droid X and my fiance a Droid 2 it was buy one droid get one free with $200 mail in rebates coming my way so really I paid for both phones until I get reimbursed. I was told by my sales rep that if you lock in the contract before Christmas that they would waive the data plans on both phones for the first 2 years. They told me my bill would be a few dollars extra the first month around which I expect for all the activation fees and all that. However we signed up last Sunday and I logged online today because I got an email saying my bill was ready to view. I signed on and found $276.50USD for the first month! I signed up for 700 minutes/ month, unlimited text, unlimited data on both phones. I just find this a bit ridiculous and someone is going to have some explaining to do come Monday or these phones are going back quick! The sales rep told me that our bill would be around $120-$140/ month and my bill says without all other activation charges its $166 and some change. I just had to vent I know its christmas eve but I am super angry right now!

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Did you do a family share plan or does each phone have its own 700 minutes? 120-140 per phone puts you around your 276.**

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First of all, data won't be free for 2 years.

Secondly, your first bill will be pro rated from date of activation to the end of your bill cycle.....which, more than likely, is not going to be a full month, but a few days to a couple of weeks. So, you'll have all those pro-rated charges, plus since you're not a pre-pay customer, you pay for the coming month ahead. So, the first bill is always higher, the pro-rated period from activation and the month ahead. You might also have activation fees on there too that are one time charges.

It sounds like you weren't understanding or listening to what they were telling you at the store at activation. Once you get the rebates, you probably want to apply that to your bill.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think Vulcan hit it right on. You have probably 1 and 1/2 months of service fees plus the activation fees and all the taxes and BS associated with it. Before I got my fiance a droid we paid ~$125/ month for the 700 min plan and 1 data plan, so tack on another $30/month for your second phone and your at $155 (and as said above, your data will NOT be free, EVER). So figure in 1.5 months at $155 is ~$233 tack on some activation fees (used to be $30 each, so another $60) and there you go. Your bill sounds about right. Be a little more constructive and review your bill IN DETAIL. Then, if indeed they are at fault proceed accordingly. They do make mistakes but more often it's something the end-user is overlooking (like the prorated 1/2 cycle). Look at your bill it will probably have two service schedules on it.

You don't have your location posted but pricing (and more importantly promotions) can very according to region but the quote of $120-$140 for both phones is low (well, I guess before taxes maybe) but depending on just what he signed you up for I would say expect at least $160 (taxes and fees) for both unless you have a discount plan through work or something.

OP
C

cjvdh

Reaction score
Well that's not at all what the service rep told me and I was paying very clear attention. She told me that the data on the primary line would be free for the first 2 years. She told me I would be paying $120/month +- a few dollars for two phones. These phones are going back to Verizon come monday. I am going to ATT which may have bad service but I love the iPhone more than I do this phone. Plus I get a discount through ATT through my work. It will be cheaper for me to go into ATT and get my fiance and I two iPhone 4's and just walk away. Thanks for all your guys time.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
+'s & -'s to each. Rather than getting the second phone free your gonna pay 400.00 + tax for your phones, then AT&T no longer does unlimited data so you have to watch your usage more, service isn't so great on AT&T, but hey you get a few more minutes + rollover (that is if they are still doing that)... guess its more -'s than +'s, but hey what ever floats your boat. Have fun with the iphone.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Be sure to hold the phone only as lord Jobs instructs so you can actually make a call, in the few instances when you can actually get a strong enough signal to make a call. Good luck with that.

bart2546

Reaction score
2 months of data free? Sure I could see that. 2 years of data though, no way. That wouldn't even make sense when you just signed a 2 year contact. I agree with the rest of the responses here also, the prorated charges, plus any fees and taxes and the bill sounds right.

Regards,
Brandon
Sent from my Verizon Droid X

cpjr

Reaction score
Waive the data plans for 2 years......dude you misunderstood, a rep can't even do that. And I guarantee nobody else at verizon would do that for you either.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I believe what the rep was saying is that, for the second line, you would ONLY pay for data. The promotion we have going on right now (Smartphones Talk Free) would back that up. That promotion will credit the second line the $9.99 for 2 years but not the data. Tell us how that bill actually breaks down instead of just the amount, if you don't mind of course.
I'm telling you this not as a VZW rep but, as a previous AT&T customer/iPhone owner: you won't be happy! I was with them for nearly 4 years and have owned all but the iPhone4. Its a great phone. The network its on, however, is not.

DroidForums junkie!!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Unlimited data = $30/monthx2=$60
700 minute talk and unlimited text = $100

$100+60=$160. $35/activationx2=$70 $160=70=$230

$230+taxes=$260, give or take 5%.

Sounds about right to me. The second line would be another $10, but since the current promotion is for the second line to be free that means that for the next two years you're saving a total of $240 over the cost of the plan without the promotion. Sorry you misunderstood.

OP
C

cjvdh

Reaction score
Be sure to hold the phone only as lord Jobs instructs so you can actually make a call, in the few instances when you can actually get a strong enough signal to make a call. Good luck with that.
I know that's the only thing that sucks about it. I really like Verizon's service I can't lie about that one. As far as the phone though I do like the iPhone better but the Droid is nice too. I get a discount through my work 20% off so I am once again leaning towards at&t

OP
C

cjvdh

Reaction score
Unlimited data = $30/monthx2=$60
700 minute talk and unlimited text = $100

$100+60=$160. $35/activationx2=$70 $160=70=$230

$230+taxes=$260, give or take 5%.

Sounds about right to me. The second line would be another $10, but since the current promotion is for the second line to be free that means that for the next two years you're saving a total of $240 over the cost of the plan without the promotion. Sorry you misunderstood.
Yeah I understand all that it's just that's not what I and the sales lady had talked about at Verizon. She has told me something else.

WallyIAm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
The amount isn't surprising. Let's be honest, though. There are VZW reps out there that are, let's say, less than forthcoming. They may not be lying, but some don't go out of their way to be clear. Personally, after the rep tried numerous combos (former Alltel client deal, unlimited text & data, etc.) I was confused about what my bottom line would be. I asked what my monthly bill would be, and was given a quote before taxes. I know better now, and won't be as naive next time.

Smokie

Reaction score
the iphone is garbage compared to a droid.. just like AT&T's garbage service.. going back to dropped calls and all the limited bull**** of an iphone just wouldn't be an option for me :( i'll gladly pay my $220 a month for 2 droids. i LOVE this freakin phone. as does my wife.