Semi-Black Screen, Backlight on

ssmyth

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So im trying to figure out what happened to my phone. It was working fine last night until the battery went completely dead. I've charged it with the wall charger all night, and done several battery pulls but they didnt help. I have an original Motorola Droid btw.

Basically what happens is my phone starts to boot up. The Motorola Logo is either slightly off center to the right, or it is split half and half on the outer sides of the screen. After a minute or two thatll dissapear, only to be replaced by a black, backlit screen. If i slide open the screen and swipe where the usual unlock should be it seems to unlock, but the screen is just black. And it seems to be receiving texts messages and online notifications. Any idea what this could be?

I thought the screen might be completely broken, however, if i soft reset it and boot into the bootloader, the bootloader screen shows up on the screen. Is there anyway this could be a software issue?

Thanks in advanced

pcolevr

Reaction score
Hi My original Moto Droid just did the same thing as your phone - exactly the same sequence. Did you end up having to replace the phone, or did you find a solution?

Thank you!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That sounds like the ribbon cable, digitizer or screen. You can replace it if you have some skills.

Otherwise, you will need to replace the phone.