Self Activation Question?

robboxedit

Reaction score
So I'm desperately awaiting delivery of my Droid tomorrow (Wednesday) and I know I'll be playing with it all night. My hope is to get it activated and up and running tomorrow night and was wondering if anyone has done it themselves (as I was told by VZW support that it comes with instructions to do it yourself) and how difficult it was.

I basically am hoping to get my current VZW number transferred onto the Droid and to set up my email accounts (yahoo and google).

Worst case scenario I can always run down to the local VZW store and have them do it but I'm curious about doing it myself.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Activating is as simple as calling the number prescribed (*228, option 1, I think) but you might need to call *611 and go through "activate a new handset". It takes less than 5 minutes. Just follow the step by step and you'll be set. There is absolutely no need to go to a store to do this, it is idiot proof. If there is a problem, CALL *611 press 0 for support.

As for adding emails, gmail was super easy. I haven't added any other accounts(I only use GMail) so I wouldn't know. Some report problems, but it shouldn't be that hard.

OP
robboxedit

robboxedit

Reaction score
Thanks medic, good to know. Not until this morning did I realize that I'll probably have to go into the store anyway to get all my contacts transferred onto the Droid from my old phone. I'll probably activate it to start setting it up and then run over there to have them do that I guess.

Leastbay

Reaction score
what phone are you coming from? If you can download google sync do that. Once you sign onto google on the Droid it will load all your contacts.

OP
robboxedit

robboxedit

Reaction score
im coming from the env Touch (non smartphone) so I dont believe it would work (correct me if Im wrong). I always used "backup assistant" with this phone but its not supported with android os, so I think I may need to have VZW do it.

knightshade

Reaction score
Thanks for the info....
I was toying between ordering a droid online (instant rebate) or in the store (mail in rebate)...

The instant rebate is tempting - but when I stopped into the store they were pushing for a sale "in store"... Justifying that the activation process was complex for SmartPhones.... (IMO - they wanted a sales commission :icon_ devil: )

Definately sounds like something that a consumer can do.

SourPatch

Reaction score
The only Problem I had with ordering online was that my Droid was defective and if you order online you have so send it back instead of just going through the store for a replacement. It wasn't to bad, I just called Verizon and they sen a new phone 2nd day air.

LordKastle

Reaction score
2nd day air? You should have demanded next day. If they ship their phones out overnight, there is absolutely no reason why a replacement should not have been given immediately. Yours was defective and that is even more reason to make sure its overnight.

SourPatch

Reaction score
2nd day air? You should have demanded next day. If they ship their phones out overnight, there is absolutely no reason why a replacement should not have been given immediately. Yours was defective and that is even more reason to make sure its overnight.
Yeah, I thought that it should have been next day also. I assumed it was next day, and then they emailed me the tracking info and I was disappointed

LtJustice

Reaction score
Self Activation

I ordered my droid on-line so i didn't have to wait for the rebate (paid the $8 to get next day air, since I ordered on Thursday and didn't want to wait for the weekend).

I had no problems at all activating it. I did it through the website (per the instructions included in the shipment) and then the Droid itself makes a call to finish set up. Zero complications.

I even factory reset the Droid like three times as I was getting used to the syncing and wanted to just start over. One word of caution there. Don't factory reset twice in the same day and after hours. Not sure which one was the reason (the after hours or twice in the same day) but my phone was useless until the next day, because it wouldn't automatically activate and it was after hours so I couldn't talk to a rep to activate it for me. The next morning it was able to complete the (re) activation on it's own.

checker555

Reaction score
im coming from the env Touch (non smartphone) so I dont believe it would work (correct me if Im wrong). I always used "backup assistant" with this phone but its not supported with android os, so I think I may need to have VZW do it.
You can have backup assistant export to a CSV file and then import that to gmail. Then the phone will pick it up.