select input method

lju64

Reaction score
Is there anyway to stop the select input method from popping up in the notification bar everyone the keyboard comes up? It doesn't mess with my phone, but it just annoys the crap out of me. I have Swype selected but it still always gives me the box. Any solutions?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There should be a small box at the bottom left corner of that window, which you tap to check and it "remembers" your selection.

Other than that, I am at a loss for why it would keep coming up.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
That is a feature of ICS. If you are rooted and running a ROM they typically have the option to hide it. AFAIK there is no option on stock ICS to hide it.

"Don't Panic!"
Tapatalk 2_GNEX

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I am on ICS and have only had to select Swype once, the box has never come up again. In fact, I miss being able to press and hold in a text window to switch input types, now being forced to go into settings Keyboard to change.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I'm not sure which window you mean. I thought the op was referring to the IMEI switcher (the little keyboard icon) that appears in the notification bar on ICS.

"Don't Panic!"
Tapatalk 2_GNEX

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
FoxKat, you don't get the keyboard icon in your notification bar? When you pull the bar down, you have "select input method" which will give you a simple dialogue box to select which you want... without having to go into settings.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Holy Moses, did I misread that OP. I didn't even know that option shows up in the Notification drop-down. That solves the concern I had about not being able to change without going into menus! Heck, I am glad it's there.

To the OP, sorry, I thought (by misreading) that you were talking about the window that pops up when you haven't yet chosen a default keyboard. Now that I know what you were asking, thanks jsm9872, why does it bother you? Do you mean that seeing that icon appear bothers you? If so, then I believe the question was answered by JSM9872.

OP
L

lju64

Reaction score
It's just annoying. I feel like the damn think is saying, are you sure you want to use Swype lol. I didn't know if somehow i had failed to correctly select my input method or if it was suppose to do that every time.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hey, I hear you. It's very frustrating when someone questions my intentions, or as they say, second-guesses what I mean. My wife does it all the time. For instance, she asks me what my opinion of something she has a position on already is, and when I give her my opinion, then she spends the next 10 minutes trying to debunk my reasoning and make me side with her. It's very frustrating, so I tell her, if you want my opinion, you have to accept that it's what I say it is and stop trying to get me to change my mind to justify your opinion. But I have to tell you as well, that there have been times when she has totally woken me up to a different perspective and reasoning which has resulted in my taking a different position. We're married going on 24 years, so obviously it hasn't been a "deal-breaker" for me or her. You know they say, "for better or worse".

I suppose we also marry our phones in a way, although it's a rather short marriage, but the same willingness to accept what we can't change applies. As you saw from my post above, I can't stand having to leave whatever application I am using to dig into menus from another area of the phone, to make a change that affects the application I was using in the first place. So for me, that "feature" is actually quite appealing and the minor nuisance of the keyboard icon appearing in the notification bar is just that...a minor nuisance. For me in fact, so minor I didn't even know it was there!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
^^^^ trouble in the heartland :) watch out FoxKat :D:p

OP
L

lju64

Reaction score
Haha well i guess that's a great way of explaining it. I just didn't know if there was a way to disable it. I'll just keep ignoring it, maybe even try some of the suggestions some time. Thanks

tracy22

Reaction score
i too have this prob... i am on my 4th droid 4 since may 29th..first one the battery lasted hour and a half..second one no internet connection the 3rd one had the select input method issue...which is why they sent me the 4th..which didnt help i still have the prob...when i called and talked to support i was told it shouldnt be popping up all the time in the notification window( happens about 40 times a day and i find it extremely annoying)... i will have to call again and waste more time...i also have the prob of when i am filling out web forms like to register on this site, once i start to fill in the boxes the page disappears and i am left with just seeing the blanks! which is frusterating...took me 10 min to register..which i find to be ridiculous. all the things the support lady had me do...hard reset...didnt help...just forced me to have to redownload all my apps again, use more data..which makes me go over my plan and pay more money for something that isnt my fault...remember this is the fourth time i have had to do this! and no i am not able to hook up to wi fi...i live in the sticks and would have to drive 40 mins to do that..i would like a phone that works....like the other users i pd alot for the phone and monthly bill isnt so cheap either...thanks for letting me vent